Make It Clean?

Decorating By sodalitycake Updated 3 Dec 2009 , 1:22am by zdebssweetsj

sodalitycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sodalitycake Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 6:32am
post #1 of 12

How can I insure that my teired cake, covered in fondant, will be clean and not sag. (you know, when you can see all the layer pushing on each other and causing a rippling affect?)

11 replies
Darthburn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Darthburn Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 6:49am
post #2 of 12

Make sure the cakes are dense and able to withstand some pressure. Some suggest adding pound cake to the recipe.

My cakes have turned out fine without it, I just make sure that I tamp the cake really good to get the air bubbles out. If you want, when it comes out of the oven you can push down on it slightly to compact it's fluffiness a little.

You really shouldn't have a problem though unless you are adding heavier top elements such as more tiers to the cake. In that case you need to be using dowels. The dowels are driven into the lower cake and are just even with the surface. When you place the upper tier onto it, the cardboard rests on the dowels and supports the cake.

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 5:02pm
post #3 of 12

Be sure to allow time for the cake to settle. Those 'ripples' are caused by the cake settling after being covered with fondant.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 5:24pm
post #4 of 12

I love to refrigerate my cakes between each step...filling/crumb coat....icing....then nice and cold before doing fondant...then storing the finished product cold as well.

I get problems with air bubbles in my fondant sometimes but never sagging.

Darthburn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Darthburn Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 6:36pm
post #5 of 12

Kitagrl - Do you ever have problems with the fondant not sticking to the cold buttercream?
I've put mine in the fridge before adding fondant (both buttercream and ganache) and find that the fondant doesn't adhere well until it warms a little... usually from running my hands over it when smoothing.
How does your's do or are there any little tricks you do with a cold cake to get it to stick good? I guess I should first ask, do you ever have that problem?

Kitagrl Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 6:38pm
post #6 of 12

When I use a non crusting bc it sticks great...when using a crusting buttercream, you can mist the buttercream iced cake with just a bit of water from a misting spray bottle and that works great.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 6:40pm
post #7 of 12

You can also try using ganache as it forms a really nice shell. Since then, I never had bulges.

Kitagrl Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 6:42pm
post #8 of 12

Ganache does work really well but most customers don't order ganache. haha.

I've used it a couple times under fondant, though, and really like it.

ksmith1012 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ksmith1012 Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 7:42pm
post #9 of 12

I use ganache as well under my fondant and I dont have to worry about any bulges or lumps. I am very pleased with how well it works.

sodalitycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sodalitycake Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 7:58pm
post #10 of 12

wow! great advice! thank you for all the input friends icon_smile.gif you've helped e tremendously. God bless

Mug-a-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mug-a-Bug Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 1:07am
post #11 of 12

Adding an extra egg will also produce a more dense cake. icon_smile.gif

zdebssweetsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zdebssweetsj Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 1:22am
post #12 of 12

I've been using Sugarshack's recipe with pudding it's nice and dense and taste wonderful.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%