3" Deep Cake Pans

Decorating By sugarprincess Updated 1 Dec 2009 , 9:59pm by MissCakeCrazy

sugarprincess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarprincess Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 6:12am
post #1 of 16

I have just ordered some 3" deep cake pans from Magic Line and now I am getting nervous about using them. I hope some of you do use this depth of pan and can give me some advice. I read on another website that cakes do not bake evenly in them. Also I don't really know how much batter they hold. (8 and 9 inch round, and 8 and 9 inch square ) Can they be filled 2/3 full or should they be only filled 1/2 full. Any advise from those who are experienced baking with this depth of pan would be so much appreciated.

15 replies
sugarprincess Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 6:18am
post #2 of 16

Well now, don't I feel really silly. I found the chart which gives me all the information for baking with 3" deep pans. icon_rolleyes.gif I should have searched first before posting. Sorry about that. But I would still to hear from people who do use the depth of pan and your success with it, or any helpful tips.

Thanks so much

mareg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mareg Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 6:23am
post #3 of 16

Not to be a party poop..but I don't like my 12X3 " magic line. ALL of my cakes have sunk forming a huge crater in the center. I hope you have better luck. I'd love to know what the trick is with these too!

Darthburn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Darthburn Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 6:59am
post #4 of 16

Try using a flower nail in the center to help it bake evenly.

Spray non-stick spray on the nail and place it in the center of the pan, fill with cake batter. Cook as normal. Should do the trick for you. I think there is a tutorial on here for it somewhere.

Jeep_girl816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeep_girl816 Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 7:25am
post #5 of 16

I don't have Magic Line, I've been using Wilton's 3" pans for the past year and even though everyone here seems to think they're crap, I've had a pretty good success rate, I use baking strips but so far no heat core or flower nail and I've only had a couple with the dreaded crater center. I've found that once you've figured out ballpark how long they take to cook, don't even touch the oven door until they're almost done. My 8" takes one cake mix and takes about a hour and fifteen minutes on 350. Each size up takes about half a mix more(1.5 for 10", 2 for 12" and so on) and needs roughly 20 min. more baking time. I turn the oven down to 325 for 12" and up though and just let them stay in there longer. I hate when I have to uses my 2" pans, I'm incredibly impatient and have limited cooling space so the 3" are my faves by far! Hope this helps!

tigerhawk83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tigerhawk83 Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 3:34pm
post #6 of 16

I use 3" pans all the time - I use a flower nail and some homemade baking strips and I get very level cakes if I don't overfill them!!! (Which I have a tendency to do) I only fill them about half way full - much higher and I have a volcano icon_eek.gif

I'm overly cautious and use 1 nail in the 8" and 2 nails in the 10" - takes 65-80 minutes to bake this way.

ECSCOOKS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ECSCOOKS Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 4:00pm
post #7 of 16

i use them too, mine are Magic Line and i love them. i use flower nails for anything 10" and over, never use baking strips and it works really well. but I bake mine at 325 for a longer time and i start them out at 300 like kakeladi says in her wasc cake. HTH

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 4:18pm
post #8 of 16

I hate three inch pans. I use all the tricks: heating core, flower nail, baking strips... and I'm not inexperienced having 30 years of baking under my belt.

I just use them now the same as a 2' and only fill them partially, still use the baking strips for leveling. They work more efficiently for me that way.

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 4:20pm
post #9 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECSCOOKS

i use them too, mine are Magic Line and i love them. i use flower nails for anything 10" and over, never use baking strips and it works really well. but I bake mine at 325 for a longer time and i start them out at 300 like kakeladi says in her wasc cake. HTH

Hi, great info thank you! quick question...if I understood right, did you said you start your oven at 300? if so, at what point do you increase to 325??

luvmysmoother Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvmysmoother Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 5:04pm
post #10 of 16

I have a 9"- 3" high set of heavy duty shiny aluminum cake pans and another Wilton 8"- 3" high set (thin matte aluminum) and the heavy duty aluminum ones are SUPERB even for baking up a high cake. The Wilton cake pan is not as great - I have to bake the cake a LONG time to bake everything through and end up with an awful dry brown crust on top that needs to be hacked off anyways - not worth making a high cake if I have to shave off a big chunk of iticon_smile.gif

lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 5:18pm
post #11 of 16

I have ML 3 inch deep pans 4-12 inch rounds. If I had it to do over, I would buy the 2 inch pans instead. I don't have any problems with the cakes rising, but I always misjudge the amt of batter & end up wasting cake when I trim them. I'm sort of anal, but want 2, 2inch layers.
I guess the 3 inch pans would be great if you wanted to torte to 3, 1 inch layers.
I always use a flower nail, bake-even strips, and bake @ 325.

mareg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mareg Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 6:31pm
post #12 of 16

I use flower nails when I bake with it and still the crater! Win you said you use the baking strips too. I was going to try that next. Any other advise???

Darthburn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Darthburn Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 6:45pm
post #13 of 16

Funny... I gave advise on using a flower nail, but never have. I have seen it used and it comes out perfectly. I'm going to try it on the next project.

Now I do use baking strips everytime and they work awesome!

This is a great question for me because I have 2" pans and was wanting to switch to 3" so I could torte to a perfect 2". Usually I have some sort of issue even with baking strips about not having a perfectly level surface. Again, going to try a flower nail on the next cakes.

icon_biggrin.gif

lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 9:18pm
post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mareg

I use flower nails when I bake with it and still the crater! Win you said you use the baking strips too. I was going to try that next. Any other advise???

Try the bake even strips or wet towels tied around the cake pan.
Do you open the oven door before the cake is done? Sometimes this will make my cakes fall.

sugarprincess Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 9:23pm
post #15 of 16

Thanks so everyone for your suggestions. Can't wait for them to arrive to try them out. I always use the magic strips and maybe I will try using a flower nail as well.

MissCakeCrazy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissCakeCrazy Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 9:59pm
post #16 of 16

I also have 3" deep tins but the important thing to point out that if you do a 8" batter for an 8" pan, you will never get a cake as high as the tin once you have levelled it. You will probably end up with a 2.5" deep cake. To overcome this, I always make extra batter so for an 8" tin I would use the batter/recipe for a 10" cake. I would it an extra 20 mins or so in the oven with a lower temp. Baking strips are a MUST.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%