Baking In Beer Cans? Possible?

Decorating By JCE62108 Updated 2 Dec 2009 , 1:33am by Darthburn

JCE62108 Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 4:50am
post #1 of 27

Hey guys. I need to make a 6 pack of coors cans for the 20th. I dont have any really small pans but was debating on buying some for this project, then I had a thought....do you think it would be possible to bake the cake in the actual beer cans? I figured I could cut the top off and just use it like any other cake pan. But I dont know how it would hold up to heat.

Any thoughts on this?

PS before you suggest cupcakes I really dont want to do that. Cupcakes dont have straight sides....at least my pans dont...and it would be a pain to get everything even and then try to cover it with fondant without seeing bulges or other weird things in the sides of it. So if the cans wont work Ill just buy the little 3" pans

26 replies
Shannie13 Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 5:13am
post #2 of 27

I have no idea about cake mix, but I know it is okay to put a beer can in the oven. That is the way my family makes beer roasted chicken. Wish ya luck!!
Shannie

JCE62108 Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 5:16am
post #3 of 27

Ahh haaa. I didnt think about that. Hmm Ive never made beer roasted chicken. Ill have to try it. Thanks for the input!

cindycraig Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 5:27am
post #4 of 27

I always bake my pumpkin bread in coffee cans...I would think that beer cans would work as well. I think its a great idea...Post how it turns out!
Good Luck! thumbs_up.gif

tallgood Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 5:42am
post #5 of 27

I bake in tin cans that fruit came in all the time. They are really neat with straight sides. There is just two of us here and the small size limits our portions. The little cakes look great with ganache poured over them too.

Make sure you are careful of any sharp edges on the rim, and grease well with the Pan Release or Bakers Joy.

Got the idea from a book called Small Batch Baking.

Darthburn Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 6:33am
post #6 of 27

Just make the illusion of cans.
Bake and layer 3 cakes, say 9x9 inch. Make a stencil of 6 joined circles, place on top of the cake.Cut and carve the sides to look like rounded cans.
Cover in fondant, and add fondant accents for the can tops and logo.

Use a real 6 pack for visual help while carving if needed.

-K8memphis Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 12:14pm
post #7 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthburn

Just make the illusion of cans.
Bake and layer 3 cakes, say 9x9 inch. Make a stencil of 6 joined circles, place on top of the cake.Cut and carve the sides to look like rounded cans.
Cover in fondant, and add fondant accents for the can tops and logo.

Use a real 6 pack for visual help while carving if needed.

Great stuff ^^^here^^^. Consider doweling if necessary.

JCE62108 Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 8:13pm
post #8 of 27

Yeah, I thought of that too....actually that is how Id prefer to do it. BUT the customer specifically wants 6 individual cans. So I think Im going to try it with the beer cans. I have 6 16oz cans that I think will work perfect. That way when I cut the top off it will still be tall enough to pass for 12oz cans. Im excited!

This must be a popular theme. I have two beer cakes on the same weekend. The 6 pack of coors for Sun, and a huge Busch can for Sat. lol. Fun stuff.

Hey, is it pretty easy to cover something so tall and skinny with fondant? Ive never done something so tall and Im a little worried Ill get folds. Do you guys have a special technique you use for tall cakes?.......Hmmm. What if I froze them and then wrapped the fondant around the sides instead of trying to drape it over the top? I gotta put a little rim on the top anyway. That would hide the seam. But them again Id have a huge seam in the back of the can.......which I could probably just turn towards the inside of the 6-pack.......What do you think?

Darthburn Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 8:26pm
post #9 of 27

If I was doing it individually, I would roll fondant squares and wrap it around the "can" in a cylindrical shape. The top will be covered with the faux can top, and the bottom can also. The line where the fondant comes together can be faced to the inside of the 6 pack or covered with the logo.

Here is a link to a picture I found of a member that made one.
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1413881.html

Looks like they printed the can picture on edible paper and wrapped it.

I think to add to the great cake debate on how to bake it, I would bake a cake and cut cylidrical shapes for the individual cans with a sharp can or something like a nice round cookie cutter. You could cut as deep as it goes, remove excess, cut deep, remove excess if you use a cookie cutter. I don't know, then again I would probably put in twice the amount of work needed trying to make it easier for myself icon_smile.gif haha!

sheilabelle Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 8:28pm
post #10 of 27

What about baking a sheetcake, using a round cookie cutter the same diamer as the beer can and cutting out rounds and stack to make the individual cans?

jammjenks Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 8:30pm
post #11 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheilabelle

What about baking a sheetcake, using a round cookie cutter the same diamer as the beer can and cutting out rounds and stack to make the individual cans?

I had these same thoughts.

Darthburn Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 8:31pm
post #12 of 27

Following up and after reading the link, they did just bake it in beer cans.

Maybe use some 16 oz cans so you can trim the top if needed. Tell your husband for the sake of cake making, you are going to need him to consume 6 - 16 oz beers.

He should never have a problem with you making a cake again, probably will always volunteer to "help", and you will probably see the number of orders for that type of cake triple. haha!

superwawa Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 8:39pm
post #13 of 27

If you're worried about the sturdiness of the can, I would suggest using soup cans - that is what I used for the wine bottle in my photos (x2) and lots of other times when I need a cylinder shape.

Whatever kind of can you use just remember to only fill about 2/3 full like a regular pan - or be ready with a pan underneath for when they rise up! (speaking from messy experience...) icon_biggrin.gif

JCE62108 Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 10:34pm
post #14 of 27

If I cut cake out of sheets I am going to have a lot of waste, and yeah, I think its more effort. I think Im going to just bake in beer cans and I think Ill take your advise and roll the can in a square (or rectangle, whatever). That was kinda my thoughts anyway.

I think Im just going to wing it with the design. Edible images in my area are too expensive. Like, $6 to $8 a sheet and she isnt paying much for this at all, So Im going to go the cheap route. Ive seen a few cakes where people painted it on and it looked pretty good.

Darthburn, he already drank them for me! lol. I have 6 16oz cans ready to go. lol.

JCE62108 Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 10:43pm
post #15 of 27

Oh and one more thing I want to ask. She wants ganache filling. I would prefer to just inject it if possible, but do I risk breaking the cake? Should I just torte and fill instead?

If I keep the cake whole I wont have to worry out bulging and it will be more stable, so Id really love to do it that way. I probably wouldnt even have to dowel it, just attach all the cans together once they are done (maybe with just a bit of fondant glue where the 6pack comes together?)

Darthburn Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 10:51pm
post #16 of 27

Do Twinkie's buldge when they inject them?

I can't honetstly say they would but if I was going to do it, here is what I would do.

First... and most important... have husband drink another 16 oz beer.

Cook cakes in cans ... all 7.. the extra for experiment.

Before removing the cake from the can, inject it with some ganash. I would push it down as far as possible without going to the bottom and inject as you pull up. If it's still in the can it will hold the sides of the cake while the ganache pressure builds.

Remove test cake from can. Put it in the fridge and let the ganache get more solid.

Remove and test by cutting it open and seeing how the ganache spread as you did that.

Finally, thank husband for his "help" again by giving him another 16 oz beer icon_smile.gif

JCE62108 Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 10:56pm
post #17 of 27

Fabulous! Great idea!!! Im gonna print this so I dont forget. lol.

Darthburn Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 11:01pm
post #18 of 27

You know, maybe after re-reading that I should have said to stick the can in the fridge after injecting rather than remove it. Then it can get cool while having help to hold the cake.

And also I was supposed to include tasting in the test phase.

stsapph Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 11:16pm
post #19 of 27

Here is a tutorial I found that might help you as well. If you still want to use the beer cans, you can still use their ideas on how to fill and wrap. HTH

http://sugarbloomcupcakes.blogspot.com/2009/05/tall-cupcakes-tutorial.html

JCE62108 Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 12:58am
post #20 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by stsapph

Here is a tutorial I found that might help you as well. If you still want to use the beer cans, you can still use their ideas on how to fill and wrap. HTH

http://sugarbloomcupcakes.blogspot.com/2009/05/tall-cupcakes-tutorial.html

Oh that is a great tutorial. What beautiful cupcakes! I like how they filled it. I think I might do that instead. I have some cannoli forms that maybe I could cut the center with. Ill have to take a look and see if maybe they are too big. I love that idea though. That way I wouldnt have to worry about bursting my cupcakes....which I usually do....I think I get a little "filling-happy" sometimes...

Darthburn Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 1:10am
post #21 of 27

Oh I see how it is... sniff sniff.. and here I thought we had a good thing going. icon_sad.gif

Lol... let us know how it turns out.

bizatchgirl Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 1:22am
post #22 of 27

Aw, Darthburn, you can be my buddy instead. I was really enjoying your suggestions. I will have to keep them in mind if I do a similar project in the future.

JCE62108 Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 1:24am
post #23 of 27

Awwww Im sorry.....but arent those cupcakes just beautiful? And the way its filled and covered is exactly how I can do my beer cans. Its perfect. I gotta make some of those pretty things....maybe for christmas....

Darthburn Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 1:27am
post #24 of 27

Yeah but you specifically said you don't want to do cupcakes icon_sad.gif

Haha! You have me wanting to make a 6 pack for my friends now. And yes, after seeing the tutorial I will be making the beer like that, as well as some pretty ones .

Plus, I got me a cake buddy now... so things are looking up! thumbs_up.gif

JCE62108 Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 1:28am
post #25 of 27

AAwwww c'mon. It doesnt mean Im not your buddy! *hugz*

JCE62108 Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 1:29am
post #26 of 27

...........but............I want a cake buddy too.

Darthburn Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 1:33am
post #27 of 27

Sweet... I gotz 2 cake buddies!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%