Silver Cakes

Decorating By mom-me Updated 1 Dec 2009 , 6:20am by mareg

mom-me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom-me Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 4:45am
post #1 of 4

I will be making a wedding cake for my daughter soon. The problem is the silver. Two of the cakes are supposed to be silver. Does anyone have experience to share? I've ordered a can of silver spray to try.
Any advice would be truly appreciated. Hopefully it wont be " don't do it "...
MOM-ME

3 replies
sweetkake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetkake Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 4:59am
post #2 of 4

Well . . . I haven't had any success using silver spray, it turns greenish. I like to color the butter cream or fondant the shade of gray that you like and spray heavily with pearl sheen. Try it ahead of time to see how much pearl sheen and how much grey coloring (drop of black gel). HTH

luvmysmoother Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvmysmoother Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 5:43am
post #3 of 4

I'd also love to know the best way to do silver. The gold luster dust (from Wilton) works ok but the silver looks really bad when I try to do the same techniqueicon_sad.gif I only tried it once dry and once wet (with a touch of vodka) - both times it looked bad. I wish I knew the trickicon_smile.gif

mareg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mareg Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 6:20am
post #4 of 4

I did a gold pyramid for an occasion and I colored the fondant the golish/brown color for a base and then painted gold luster dust with lemon extract on it. It was nice and gold. Silver might to the same. you could practie on a small piece first?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%