Best And Most Helpful Cake Decorating Book Or Dvd???

Decorating By Jeannie21 Updated 4 Dec 2009 , 2:26am by shearpamela

Jeannie21 Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 3:32am
post #1 of 18

Hey everyone! I recently agreed to do my best friends wedding cake and im very nervous! Can I get some feedback on the your ultimate favorites of how to DVD's or books? Id love to have something to read or watch to get me prepared and show me how to do all the little things and of course the big things. Any help is GREATLY appreciated! icon_smile.gif

17 replies
cakesrock Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 3:44am
post #2 of 18

I , personally, have never found ONE great book, but use lots of different sources for reference. I find that I often refer back to my Wilton course books for the basics, the yearbooks, lots of different websites on the internet, tutorials on youtube etc. and especially this website!

MrsNancyB1 Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 6:05am
post #3 of 18

Sugarshack's DVD collection hands down. Those puppies are packed FULL of information. She is VERY thorough, and shows every step in detail. I have all of her DVDs. I have only watched the Buttercream, Fondant, Boxes/Bows and Design Gallery so far. Awesome DVDs. thumbs_up.gif

CookieD-oh Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 6:47am
post #5 of 18

Sugarshack's videos are awesome!

WykdGud Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 7:54am
post #6 of 18

I highly recommend Sugarshack's videos, as well as Nicholas Lodge.

There are also several very helpful videos on YouTube (for FREE! Yay!)

Rylan Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 11:58am
post #7 of 18

I only have one DVD and that is Jennifer Dontz's fondant dvd. I really love it. Just getting her fondant recipe is already worth it.

cylstrial Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 2:26pm
post #8 of 18

I love Sugar Shack's video's but I want so many more. I have heard that Jennifer Dontz has a great one out. And I also want one by Tonedna.

sherrycanary62 Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 3:15pm
post #9 of 18

I would also utilize your local library. Try your library's online catalog search...if they don't have something...maybe one of their partner libraries will and you can order it and pick it up at your library...I do this all the time.

chefjulie Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 3:31pm
post #10 of 18

Sugarshack's entire collection, no doubt!

Mug-a-Bug Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 3:58pm
post #11 of 18

Edna has lots of free tutorials on youtube. Search toedna and you will be able to pull up lots of useful info!!

icer101 Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 4:05pm
post #12 of 18

sugarshack's ...all of her dvd's... jennifer dontz dvd's... nick lodge... scott clark woolley... books and dvd.... yes, edna.. all videos on youtube.... etc.. hth

maddie90 Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 4:30pm
post #13 of 18

I love Sharon Zambito's DVDs. She is absolutely thorough! Also Edna De La Cruz' You Tube Videos are fantastic as well as her new Stargazer Lily DVD.

Peridot Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 5:30pm
post #14 of 18

SugarShacks (Sharon Zambito) DVD's for sure. Sharon's are definitely the best and she gives you so much detail on how to do things. I have learned so much from her by watching and rewatching them. I have all of her DVD's and am waiting for the new one to come out. You need the basics to have a really great looking cake.
Good luck with your cake.

Jeannie21 Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 2:57am
post #15 of 18

wow, thanks so much for all the great help! Ill have to get a few of these definitely. Thanks again everyone! icon_smile.gif

cavette Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 3:15am
post #16 of 18

I just got Jennifer Dontz's DVD and my and my kids have watched it! Cant wait to make some! I also have Sharon's DVD I'm going to purchase some more in time and Linda's DVD about cutting gumpaste with the Cricut! I love all of them and I cant wait to buy some more!

SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 2:39pm
post #17 of 18

I did my brother's wedding cake in May. I purchased Jennifer Dontz's fondant dvd, watched that many times before doing the work, then played it while I was making the cake. My work has improved tremendously since watching the video. I like books too, but there was something about being able to watch the actual procedures that really helped me most.

Good luck with your cake!!

shearpamela Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 2:26am
post #18 of 18

I have two from Jennifer Dontz and two from Sharon Zambito and both are excellent. I was really amazed and impressed with the speedy delivery and excellent customer service from Jennifer - Hers got here faster than a Netflix rental
Both women know their cakes and are well worth investing in.

Quote by @%username% on %date%