Fat Daddio's Pans - Cakes Not Vertically Level???

Decorating By NYCGiGi Updated 1 Dec 2009 , 11:19pm by NYCGiGi

NYCGiGi Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 2:39am
post #1 of 13

I bake using the Fat Daddio round pans, which are supposed to give you really straight edges and whatnot...

However, the sides of my cake are not baking straight? As you can tell from the photo, the top of the cake is not as wide as the bottom. I will obviously take the dome off the cake, but even the part I will be using is not even.

What am I doing wrong???

(Sorry, the photo is stellar...I took it on my phone quickly)
LL

12 replies
cabecakes Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 2:51am
post #2 of 13

What size is your pan? It is recommended that anything over 10" should have a flower nail inserted in the bottom of the pan or the use of baking strips. This will distribute the heat more evenly throughout the pan and will help prevent it doming. As for it sloping inward, maybe you didn't have enough batter in the pan. I usually fill mine about 2/3 of the way full.

Rylan Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 2:52am
post #3 of 13

I have never had a problems with mines. Not sure what happened to your cake but it doesn't seem like it would be the pan. I hope someone can help you with this.

NYCGiGi Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 3:00am
post #4 of 13

This is a 7 inch cake. I definitely did not have the pan 2/3 full because I feel like the bottom would burn before the center was done. I need to get some baking strips for sure!!!

peg818 Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 12:57pm
post #5 of 13

seems to me it might be the way you grease and flour the pan. Seems like the top of the cake had nothing to grab a hold of therefor it ended up curving in some. I don't heavily spray the side of my pan, just run a knife around when the cake comes out of the oven. The other thing is it may be over cooked, this will cause the cake to start to pull away from the sides, the top being the first.

mlharvell Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 1:21pm
post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by peg818

seems to me it might be the way you grease and flour the pan. Seems like the top of the cake had nothing to grab a hold of therefor it ended up curving in some. I don't heavily spray the side of my pan, just run a knife around when the cake comes out of the oven. The other thing is it may be over cooked, this will cause the cake to start to pull away from the sides, the top being the first.

That was my first thought. It's probably overcooked.

leah_s Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 1:45pm
post #7 of 13

A 7" pan is pretty small in my world. If you're baking at 300 there is no reason to believe that you can't fill the pan 2/3 of the way full.

Pleae note that you must bake in FD pans at a lower temp than other brands.

(Just one of the many reasons I hate them so much.)

FromScratch Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 2:16pm
post #8 of 13

I have a bunch of FD pans and they bake fine. It looks to me like you had some shrinkage probably from over baking. What recipe are you using? I don't grease my pans... I just put a piece of parchment on the bottom and run a knife around the side edge. The slope isn't a sin that can't be covered up with buttercream though... I wouldn't worry about it.

I bake my cakes at 325... they come out fine

Tracyj Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 2:40pm
post #9 of 13

I had this exact problem with my cakes. I use an array of different pans so I knew it was not them it was me. I posted on here and got wonderful advice. I lowered my baking temp and bake the cakes for about 10 minutes longer, I start watching them very closely the last 10 minutes. Also I no longer spray the sides of my pans. I use cake release on the bottom only and run a knife around the edge. Hope that helps.

peg818 Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 2:42pm
post #10 of 13

i just wanted to add, i love the tile on your walls icon_smile.gif

bizcocho Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 3:13pm
post #11 of 13

It seems a lot of people have some kind of problem with the Fat Daddios pans. I bought 2 pans and when I baked the cakes they both came out with a darker crust on top. That same day I baked other cakes with my magic line pans and they came out perfect. Therefore I have not use the Fat Daddios Pans anymore. I don't like the way the cakes come out. Has anyone else had this problem?

sadsmile Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 3:31pm
post #12 of 13

Some recipes will shrink away from the top edge and some will stay nice and straight. That is way we have a plethora of pan choices out there to choose from. I have some that are straight and some that are slightly wider at the top. I use the recipe that shrinks in the wider top pan and the recipe that stays in the straight pans... does that make sense to you?

NYCGiGi Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 11:19pm
post #13 of 13

Oh gosh, I am so very glad I posted this! I definitely have my baking temperature up way too high and I am overgreasing the sides! GEEZ I LOVE THIS WEBSITE!!!!

I'm baking more cakes tonight (I have a class on Saturday) and will make these changes and let you know how it turns out.

Thanks everyone!!!

(Thanks Peg! Believe it or not, but you're really seeing almost all of my kitchen...one of the "perks" of living in Manhattan! ha ha ha)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%