Building Made Of Cake Help!!!

Decorating By luts88 Updated 1 Dec 2009 , 3:28am by cakesrock

luts88 Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 2:29am
post #1 of 2

I have to make a thomas the train cake at the end of the month. I am going to carve thomas out of a 9x13 sheet cake and two train cars to go along with it using a loaf pan. I don't think that will be enough cake it must serve around 60 ppl so i was thinking i would make a train station also.

My plan was to bake two 9x13 s cut them in half stacking the 4 pieces on top of one another. I was then going to carve the top to make its shape similar to a house. My problem is that I don't know how to attach the walls of the stations. Should I make these fondant pieces separate...1 for each side then allow them to dry a little and place them on the cake...I am thinking sort of like what cake boss did for the fashionista cake...will the pieces crack of fall off??? I don't think I will be able to cover the entire house in 1 piece of fondant because of the shape and my skills...any suggestions????

1 reply
cakesrock Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 3:28am
post #2 of 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by luts88

I have to make a thomas the train cake at the end of the month. I am going to carve thomas out of a 9x13 sheet cake and two train cars to go along with it using a loaf pan. I don't think that will be enough cake it must serve around 60 ppl so i was thinking i would make a train station also.

My plan was to bake two 9x13 s cut them in half stacking the 4 pieces on top of one another. I was then going to carve the top to make its shape similar to a house. My problem is that I don't know how to attach the walls of the stations. Should I make these fondant pieces separate...1 for each side then allow them to dry a little and place them on the cake...I am thinking sort of like what did for the fashionista cake...will the pieces crack of fall off??? I don't think I will be able to cover the entire house in 1 piece of fondant because of the shape and my skills...any suggestions????

Did you consider using a 3D house cake pan? It would be easier...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%