Covering Large Cakes In Fondant

Decorating By whit6 Updated 1 Dec 2009 , 8:00pm by jjkarm

whit6 Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 1:28am
post #1 of 7

So far I have only ever covered cakes in one large piece of fondant, but im wondering how you cover large pieces using pieces you patch together. How the heck do you get it look completely smooth? I watch cake boss and AOC and see them use multiple pices, but it never shows exactly how the smooth it together. Its amazing to me that you dont see the lines

6 replies
cylstrial Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 3:25am
post #2 of 7

They probably hide the line with decorations. That's what I would do - and these people are great at it!

Cakey1865 Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 6:42pm
post #3 of 7

I would love to know the answer myself... icon_smile.gif

Rylan Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 7:04pm
post #4 of 7

I agree with cylstrial, sometimes they just cover it.

What I usually do is spackle the seams with royal icing. Also, I find that chocolate fondant has a better chance of having seams melt together.

jjkarm Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 7:44pm
post #5 of 7

I posted this on another thread today that was talking about blending fondant seams.....

I take a small piece of fondant and add either shortening or water to it. Mix it together until it reaches a thick paste consistency. (I do this in the palm of my hand using my fingers to mix it.) Then I push the paste into the seam and smooth it with my finger. Sometimes you can't even tell where the seam was unless you look very very close. I like to do this with colored fondant because it can be difficult to match the color exactly with RI or buttercream.

Now I haven't done this with a really long seam on a large cake, but it's worth a try. I don't see why it wouldn't work. At least you wouldn't have to try and cover the entire seam.

whit6 Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 7:50pm
post #6 of 7

I wondered about matching to colors to using the fondant and turning it into a paste sounds like a great idea!! Good to know for the future. the only thing tho is i have noticed wet fondant is is the seam shiny then from the paste?

jjkarm Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 8:00pm
post #7 of 7

It can be shiny, but if you rub a little shortening over the entire surface of the cake it hides it well. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%