Need Some Guidance With Royal Icing Disaster

Decorating By JustToEatCake Updated 2 Dec 2009 , 11:12pm by JustToEatCake

JustToEatCake  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustToEatCake Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 1:02am
post #1 of 6

I, for the first time today, made royal icing. It was Antonia's <sp>. I am making coral that is approx 2" x 2". I made the icing. Looks nice, too stiff so I thin with a tiny bit of water until it's workable. After I made it and found it too stiff I noted on top of the recipe it says this is a "stiff" icing. Anyway, I piped 72 corals onto wax paper and they have STUCK and they break whenever I try to get one of them off! I'm so bummed...Dad's Bday is just around the corner...

5 replies
 Kiddiekakes  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 1:05am
post #2 of 6

Hmmmm.I use Antonia's icing all the time and I have never had any pieces break or stick.Are you piping on to wax paper??They need to dry overnight or a bit longer.I make coral all the time with this recipe and it just peels right off the wax paper.

CakeMommyTX  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 1:14am
post #3 of 6

Maybe try letting it dry longer like Kiddiekakes suggested.
When I make coral I use candy melts or white chocolate piped onto wax paper, works fine.
Sorry you are having trouble, I've never used that recipe so I'm not much help.

msmeg  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msmeg Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 1:15am
post #4 of 6

if you made them today I doubt they were dry enough so yes they will break

JustToEatCake Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 1:24am
post #5 of 6

Ok thanks, I am going to leave them alone until tomorrow. I guess (hope) it was impatience! I only ruined about 4 of them trying to remove them..keeping my fingers crossed. I wasn't sure if using a little water to thin would mess up the whole chemistry of it..but it really wasn't alot of water..just trickled in.

JustToEatCake Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 11:12pm
post #6 of 6

Ya'll were EXACTLY RIGHT!! I hadn't waited long enough. I was able to get them off the wax paper after they dried fully. I waited another day to make sure! Thank you so much...they look pretty good!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%