Need Some Guidance With Royal Icing Disaster

Decorating By JustToEatCake Updated 2 Dec 2009 , 11:12pm by JustToEatCake

JustToEatCake Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 1:02am
post #1 of 6

I, for the first time today, made royal icing. It was Antonia's <sp>. I am making coral that is approx 2" x 2". I made the icing. Looks nice, too stiff so I thin with a tiny bit of water until it's workable. After I made it and found it too stiff I noted on top of the recipe it says this is a "stiff" icing. Anyway, I piped 72 corals onto wax paper and they have STUCK and they break whenever I try to get one of them off! I'm so bummed...Dad's Bday is just around the corner...

5 replies
Kiddiekakes Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 1:05am
post #2 of 6

Hmmmm.I use Antonia's icing all the time and I have never had any pieces break or stick.Are you piping on to wax paper??They need to dry overnight or a bit longer.I make coral all the time with this recipe and it just peels right off the wax paper.

CakeMommyTX Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 1:14am
post #3 of 6

Maybe try letting it dry longer like Kiddiekakes suggested.
When I make coral I use candy melts or white chocolate piped onto wax paper, works fine.
Sorry you are having trouble, I've never used that recipe so I'm not much help.

msmeg Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 1:15am
post #4 of 6

if you made them today I doubt they were dry enough so yes they will break

JustToEatCake Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 1:24am
post #5 of 6

Ok thanks, I am going to leave them alone until tomorrow. I guess (hope) it was impatience! I only ruined about 4 of them trying to remove them..keeping my fingers crossed. I wasn't sure if using a little water to thin would mess up the whole chemistry of it..but it really wasn't alot of water..just trickled in.

JustToEatCake Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 11:12pm
post #6 of 6

Ya'll were EXACTLY RIGHT!! I hadn't waited long enough. I was able to get them off the wax paper after they dried fully. I waited another day to make sure! Thank you so much...they look pretty good!

Quote by @%username% on %date%