Best Advice On Making A Purse Cake?

Decorating By Adevag Updated 1 Dec 2009 , 5:11pm by sugarlicious

Adevag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Adevag Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 9:54pm
post #1 of 16

I have never made a purse cake and I am not into fashion so I feel very lost when it comes to making this type of cake. A friend has asked me to make one and I am excited to get the opportunity (and the experience that comes with it). There are so many beautiful purse cakes out there, what is your best advice when it comes to making one? Anything in particular I should be thinking about or learn? (cake is due late Dec. so I have time to plan).
Thank you!

15 replies
sugarlicious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarlicious Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 10:11pm
post #2 of 16

I am interested in anyones replies to this post too, I have my first purse cake due this Saturday, making it for my 11 year old niece for her birthday, was thinking about making a "Juicy Coutoure Purse" I think that is what they are called with makeup all around the cake, maybe a cellphone too icon_surprised.gif)

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 10:21pm
post #3 of 16

Well for starters the two easiest purse cakes to make are the round purse cake and the style I have in my pix (Bella's purse cake). Both are one-pan cakes that are easily carved. I would refrain from the Juicy Couture or LV cakes for now, they're much more complex than these other cakes (which are more suited for a beginner.)

Here's an example of a round purse cake (which is a Yummy Arts design -- they have a DVD on this cake style): http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=411303

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 10:25pm
post #4 of 16

I learned from a friend recently to use an open book pan (Wilton bible type or other) then just cut in half at the center of the book and buttercream together, tapered ends up. I thought it was a smashing idea!

Adevag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Adevag Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 10:36pm
post #5 of 16

bobwonderbuns, thank your for the link. This looks like a doable cake. I like the idea of putting some items outside the purse (like the make up).

goldstarcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goldstarcakes Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 10:38pm
post #6 of 16

I made a purse cake for my daughter's 11th bday this month. It turned out better than I had anticipated. I used a square 10" and a square 8". I cut both in half. I stacked the 10s on the bottom and the 8s on the top
(10 x 5, 10 x 5, 8 x 4, 8 x 4). I chilled it in the freezer while I made the frosting. Then, I carved it to taper gradually from the top to the base. I made a flap for the top and a strap out of fondant. Overall, it was not as scary as I had anticipated. Good Luck! icon_biggrin.gif

sugarlicious Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 10:48pm
post #7 of 16

bobwonderbuns, that is a beautiful Tiffany Purse cake and looks like it would be easy to make, I would have never thought about using a 8 inch round would have made a square and just layered it, round sounds alot easier, thanks!!

bobwonderbuns Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 10:58pm
post #8 of 16

Mine is in my pix, the link I posted is to Trish's cake (she did the Yummy Arts video on the round purse.) I don't want there to be any confusion there. My cake is a square, carved purse for my buddy Bella.

Skirt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Skirt Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 10:59pm
post #9 of 16

I recently made an even simpler purse cake for a young girl. I added accessories with her initials on the outside to "fancy" it up a bit. It took so little time to make and I made it without fondant. Well, the accessories and handle were fondant but not the cake covering!
HTH icon_smile.gif

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1505122

bobwonderbuns Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 3:37pm
post #10 of 16

This is the one I made from an 8 inch square cake (fab shoes were poured chocolate.) http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1525474

bobwonderbuns Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 3:40pm
post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinygoose

I learned from a friend recently to use an open book pan (Wilton bible type or other) then just cut in half at the center of the book and buttercream together, tapered ends up. I thought it was a smashing idea!

That's a great idea but I'm wondering if you need to dowel each side to keep it from flopping over. What do you think?

hugs28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hugs28 Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 3:54pm
post #12 of 16

I think it depends on if you want it standing or laying down. I made a coach purse that they wanted laying down and it was really easy to do. I used a 1/4 sheet cake and carved it. I handpainted the c's. Here is the link:

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1520390

bobwonderbuns Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 3:58pm
post #13 of 16

That's a pretty cake! I was thinking if the purse were standing up what's to stop it from splitting apart.

hugs28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hugs28 Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 4:29pm
post #14 of 16

Thank you, I didn't want to attempt it standing up lol, I was glad when she told me she wanted it like that lol, I probably could have done it and was thinking instead of putting 2 pieces side by side standing, why not cut it and layer it the same way, only more layers, if that makes sense lol.

like my cake was 2 layer 1/4 sheet cake, if I wanted to make it standing, I would have make the 1/4 sheet cakes and cut them maybe in 3's and then stacked those ontop of one another instead of side by side. does that make more sense? lol, I am confused already haha

TPACakeGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TPACakeGirl Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 4:53pm
post #15 of 16

I made that Tiffany blue purse this weekend, but I didn't realize it. I saw the same purse on youtube video, but it didn't have any directions, so I had to figure it out. What I learned was that round cakes can be a little unstable, even with dowels. Next time, I will use square cakes and just carve them into the shape. Also, make your strap waaaay ahead of time. It takes awhile to dry. I did mine 3 days early, and it didn't dry enough to hold up its own weight. K8Memphis saved me by telling me to bake the strap in my oven warmer.

sugarlicious Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 5:11pm
post #16 of 16

All your purse cakes are beautiful, great help and inspiration for my first purse cake, thank you all icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%