Silpat Mat

Sugar Work By dansell Updated 1 Dec 2009 , 9:48pm by dansell

dansell Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 7:56pm
post #1 of 6

Hi! I have been making hard candy for many years at Christmas time. I always pour it into a greased jelly roll pan. I was wondering if any of you have poured it onto a Silpat or other Silicone type mat? Did you have any problems with it sticking? Thank you!

Dana

5 replies
dansell Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 2:20pm
post #2 of 6

I was really hoping that somebody could give me some advice... Please and thank you in advance.

Dana

windemire Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 2:29pm
post #3 of 6

The candy won't stick, but silpat doesn't conduct heat, so it might change the way your candy cools and sets up.

Colleen

dansell Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 2:32pm
post #4 of 6

Thank you! I have always used parchment paper in the past, but it still kind of stuck to it so I resorted to cookie sheets, but it is more difficult to score that way. I think I will try it and see, if it doesn't work, it is just one batch of candy wasted and I will have a new silpat for cookie baking. LOL

Thank you!

DianeLM Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 3:15pm
post #5 of 6

I do all my sugar work over my Silpat. It's fantastic! Nothing sticks! If I have extra sugar leftover in the pot, I pour the excess onto the Silpat so I can easily pick it up when it sets.

Just remember that you cannot use sharp cutting tools on it.

Edited to add: If you're concerned about the temperature difference without the sheet pan, just put your Silpat in the sheet pan. thumbs_up.gif

dansell Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 9:48pm
post #6 of 6

Thank you so much! Now I am ready to get the holiday baking started!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%