One Tier With Fondant And Another With Buttercream

Decorating By mandy79 Updated 30 Nov 2009 , 7:31pm by cakesdivine

mandy79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandy79 Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 7:07pm
post #1 of 5

Hi,
I have to do a wedding cake for someone and they want it to resemble their dress. The bride wanted cream cheese because the bottom of her dress is feathery like. the top is like pleated silk. My idea was to cover the top tier with fondant, in a pleat similar to the top of her dress and to use the cream cheese on the bottom tiers. What do you guys think? Have you ever seen a cake decorated in more than one type of icing, or does the whole cake have to be either fondant or the cream cheese icing.
Thank you

4 replies
pupandbon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pupandbon Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 7:19pm
post #2 of 5

not sure but can't wait to hear the replies as i've often wanted to do that with the bright colors in fondant and the white tier in buttercream but i, like you, thought it might nto be okay to do so

creatingcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
creatingcakes Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 7:19pm
post #3 of 5

I have never seen it and I wouldn't do it, especially cream cheese! I won't do cream cheese without fondant on it, but that is just my comfort zone- I would think that it would be different shades of white, cream cheese is more of an off white- Just my thoughts....

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 7:26pm
post #4 of 5

I wouldn't do it. But then I won't do cream cheese frosting on a wedding cake, either.

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 7:31pm
post #5 of 5

I say go for it! Start a new trend! It is very easy to make stabilized cream cheese icing. If it is an indoor event and you are a bakery that is allowed to make perishable icings with cream cheese and not an at home baker then I say go for it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%