Where Do You Start?

Business By JuneBugBaby Updated 30 Nov 2009 , 7:22pm by cakesdivine

JuneBugBaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JuneBugBaby Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 6:56pm
post #1 of 2

I am new to the cake baking world. I've done a few for friends and family and gotten a lot of rave reviews. I LOVE making the cakes but my husband is getting a little tired of my large expenses to keep this up. I'd love to make a little "side money". I don't really feel I'm "business" ready but it would be nice to pay for my hobby for now. How should I go about doing that? How long did you have this as your hobby vs. a business? I am looking forward to making it a business someday, I'm just not sure I'm THAT good yet! Any tips are appreciated! icon_biggrin.gif

1 reply
cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 7:22pm
post #2 of 2

The first thing you need to do is check with your local Health department and or agriculture agency to see if it is legal for you to sell cakes from your home kitchen. Most states it is illegal to sell products made from a home kitchen to the general public. This even includes being reimbursed for ingredients. If you even accept a penny in exchange it is a sale. And it immediately becomes a business the first time money exchanges hands for a cake; it is no longer a hobby at that point. So make sure this is something you really want to do. You can't "play" at doing a cake business...you will get eaten alive by the world of clients, not to mention the IRS, possible State tax liabilities, insurance necessities/requirements...the list goes on. Arm yourself with as much information as you can before you even try to sell a cake. This forum can give you a wealth of information so read, read, read icon_smile.gif Welcome to CC!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%