Cake Newbie Questions

Decorating By Kia333 Updated 30 Nov 2009 , 5:15pm by catlharper

Kia333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kia333 Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 4:25pm
post #1 of 3

Although I've been baking for years, I have only recently started using fondant. It feels like I've been living life with no color!!! lol

I am planning on making a 2-tier cake (stacked), covered in fondant. Once I bake the cakes, do I: let them cool, tort them, fill them and THEN freeze them? Do i freeze them BEFORE i torte and fill? Can I freeze each layer after I apply BC? Can I stack, crumb coat, cover in buttercream and in fondant and decorate WHILE they are frozen?
Whats the most efficient and easiest way to go about doing cakes??

Once cake is done being decorated, how long can i keep it out? I have to create a cake for Tuesday, and was hoping i could do it on the weekend...
What are the types of non-perishable filling that I can use?

Wow, i think thats it for now! Thanks so much for your input

2 replies
sherrycanary62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sherrycanary62 Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 4:52pm
post #2 of 3

I am still new at this and learning as well...but this is what I have done and it seems to have worked out ok for me...I know you will get lots of great advice from more experienced bakers/decorators

I never freeze my cakes...basically because I have virtually no room in my freezer for them icon_biggrin.gif After baking let cool in the pan 10 to 20 minutes and then turn out on wire rack and let cool to room temp (I cover mine with a tea towel while on the rack)...then I loosely wrap in saran and put in the refrigerator and let settle overnight..then I level (If it needs it...I like to squash my cakes hot out of the oven), torte and crumbcoat...then after crumbcoat has set up I frost...then cover with fondant. I have made cakes a couple of days in advance and they have tasted fine.

The tips I got early on were...crumbcoat besides sealing the crumbs for final frosting also locks in the moisture. Then when you add the final frost covered with fondant...it all acts to preserve the cake. I think it was leah_s who told me that sugar binds and that bacteria doesn't grow..basically because of the amount of sugar that is used in frosting/fondant it works to preserve the cake (I hope I am not misquoting her or too loosely paraphrasing her. Here is a link to a previous thread discussing perishable/non perishable fillings

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-6634066.html

Good Luck on your cake

birthday.gif [/url]

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 5:15pm
post #3 of 3

You can torte and fill then freeze. I use press and seal and it's a blessing. Freeze for at least 24 hours. When you unwrap it go ahead and crumbcoat it then let it thaw for at least two hours before covering with fondant. If you try to cover it too soon you'll get condensation on the surface of the fondant. There is not a cake in my album that I haven't frozen first and then frosted or covered with fondant. The only difference is the waiting time between crumb coat and covering...I don't wait with buttercream and do with fondant.

As for keeping it...once the cake is covered you have about 3 days so yes you can do it on Sunday and it would still be good for Tuesday. I've never had problems refrigerating fondant, just let it come back to room temp before delivering it so any condensation can evaporate.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%