Pinkcakebox Topsy Turvy's

Decorating By niccicola Updated 6 Dec 2009 , 11:53pm by niccicola

niccicola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
niccicola Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 3:32pm
post #1 of 17

I'm looking through Topsy-Turvy pictures and I'm finding that most of the ones on pinkcakebox have straight sides and angled tops only.

Is it me or do they really have straight sides?

I know you don't HAVE to have the tapered sides, but doesn't that complete the look of a topsy-turvy?

16 replies
sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 4:50pm
post #2 of 17

I agree with you in thinking tapered sides look great onTTs. The TTs at Pink Cake Box are very nice! I have seen so many TTs where the proportions of the layers are off and it throws off the balance of the whole cake-it must be very very hard to do and have it look right.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 7:30pm
post #3 of 17

Can you post the link to the cake Niccicola?

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 7:58pm
post #4 of 17

I much prefer the tapered side... I think the non tapered sides look too art-deco for me. It's not hard to get the proportions right if you take a minute and plan it out... it makes all the differnce really. I think too many just dive in without a plan and that's when things go wrong.

Most of the TT's on the pink cake box's site do have the straight sides... some have a tapered middle tier, but most are just straight... it seems to be their personal style of TT. icon_smile.gif

cylstrial Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 8:34pm
post #5 of 17

I see what you mean. I think the pink cake box's TT is absolutely gorgeous though!

http://blog.pinkcakebox.com/topsy-turvy-13th-birthday-cake-2009-04-17.htm

erinalicia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erinalicia Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 8:40pm
post #6 of 17

when I've done TT's I keep the sides straight, but I'm still just learning and I'm not all that comfortable with the TT's. I may attempt a tapered one in a few weeks for a friend's little girl who loves dr. suess.

FromScratch Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 9:00pm
post #7 of 17

The best way to get the tapered sides to turn out right is to use two cake boards... one the same size of the tier and one that is 2" smaller. Put the larger cake board ot the top of your stacked (but not filled) layers and flip it over... then center the smaller board on the bottom and lift the tier up on something tht is smaller than the larger board. Take a long serrated knife and, keeping the blade resting on both board edges, trim your cake. So long as you keep the kinfe touching the boards you will get perfectly straight and even tapered sides. Flip the tier over and carve the top angle and viola! icon_biggrin.gif

I score down the side too so I can line it up when I fill it. Make sure you use a sturdy cake too.
LL

erinalicia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erinalicia Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 9:34pm
post #8 of 17

If I do a 10" on bottom tapered to 8" and then an 8" tapered to a 6" will that be proportionate and stable? I've never had an issue with my sides falling on my bottom tier when I do a tt and I use the cut out method. I've read several disaster stories of the sides collapsing on the bottom tier of a tt, it just worries me. The cake will be covered with buttercream and fondant decorations.

MrsNancyB1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsNancyB1 Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 9:44pm
post #9 of 17

Funny, I actually prefer TTs the way Pinkcakebox does them. I prefer the angled sides when the cake is straight vertical, and not 'topsy'. It may just be a matter of personal preference.

FromScratch Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 4:06am
post #10 of 17

erinalicia...

The smallest top tier I'd do is a 5" tapered to a 3"... any smaller and I'd fear it wouldn't be stable... so an 8 tapered to a 6 for your top tier would be fine. I cut a notch out for the tier above to sit in too... not a full on hole... just a wedge so you can slide the tier above into place.

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 4:31am
post #11 of 17

My grandson keeps ooing over these tt cakes...but you need like 9-12 cakes to make one, from those I have seen.....is there a way to make one without having so terrible much cake? I hate all the waste. TIA

FromScratch Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 2:09pm
post #12 of 17

Well if you only make a 2 tier you'd only need 6 layers. There's really not a ton of waste unless you are making a 4 tiered cake and you only need 20 or so servings. You can always make cake balls with what you carve off too. You really do need a 6" tier for it to look right though. The shorter tiers just don't look the same. You could even do a single tier... they look good too... whimsical without having a ton of cake. icon_smile.gif

cylstrial Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 2:17pm
post #13 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromScratch

The best way to get the tapered sides to turn out right is to use two cake boards... one the same size of the tier and one that is 2" smaller. Put the larger cake board ot the top of your stacked (but not filled) layers and flip it over... then center the smaller board on the bottom and lift the tier up on something tht is smaller than the larger board. Take a long serrated knife and, keeping the blade resting on both board edges, trim your cake. So long as you keep the kinfe touching the boards you will get perfectly straight and even tapered sides. Flip the tier over and carve the top angle and viola! icon_biggrin.gif

I score down the side too so I can line it up when I fill it. Make sure you use a sturdy cake too.

Jeanne - thanks for all your help in this thread. My husband is dying for me to make a topsy turvy! thumbs_up.gif

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 2:31pm
post #14 of 17

This is very useful information, My DD is challenging me to make one for her 18th birthday wihch is on the 24th of this month. I think I will give it a shot. Thank You very much guys.

emiyeric Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emiyeric Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 3:42pm
post #15 of 17

Jeanne, this is wonderful, thanks! I haven't been brave enough to try one yet ... now my New Year's cake for my parents is calling out to me icon_smile.gif.

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 4:08am
post #16 of 17

Ok I asked my son to get me Sugarshacks dvd on topsy turvy cakes....I am going to make it come hell or igh water this May hehehe....thanks for all the help, and sorry I stole some of this post icon_wink.gif

niccicola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
niccicola Posted 6 Dec 2009 , 11:53pm
post #17 of 17

thanks for the replies everyone.

I was referring to 99% of the topsy-turvy cakes that Pink Cake Box does. So, to the PP who asked for a link, i wasn't talking about one in particular, but all of them, really.

I HIGHLY recommend sugarshack's DVD on the Topsy-Turvy construction. I must tell you, the first TT cake I did was horrendous. The 2nd one was AMAZING in comparison, simply by watching sharon do it first.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%