My Swetex Came In And It Is 0 Trans Fat....wth

Decorating By Tracyj Updated 2 Dec 2009 , 5:09pm by -K8memphis

Tracyj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tracyj Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 3:32pm
post #1 of 23

Seriously!!! I am at a loss! When I ordered it it said nothing about trans fat free. But when I made the icing you could so tell the difference. Grainy, gritty, GROSS!!

I called the company, Global Sugar Art, and Allen(the owner, what an honor icon_wink.gif ) told me that all Sweetex is now 0 trans fat!!!! He is going to call Sweetex to find out if the batches he is selling are indeed trans fat free as they don't say that on the boxes he has in stock. What in the world!!!!!!!! He won't take it back. But I refuse to give a customer grainy icing so I'm stuck with it.

Anyone know where I can get full on fat shortening?

22 replies
Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 3:43pm
post #2 of 23

Well I'm not so sure that is accurate information. The site I order it from offers both the trans fat and the trans fat free.

http://www.thebakerskitchen.net/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=88

Note that if you order the smaller quantities from them they have to repackage and aren't allowed to label it as Sweetex any longer. I spoke to the owner here months ago and he assured me it was indeed Sweetex and that Sweetex no longer allowed them to relabel the smaller repackaged amounts with their name.

HTH

JustToEatCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustToEatCake Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 3:52pm
post #3 of 23

Please let me know about this. I recently ordered Sweetex from Global and it came without a label and I have only used it once and I too noticed the icing was grainy a bit grainy but it softened over time. As I had never used it before I didn't have a clue.

Tracyj Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 4:00pm
post #4 of 23

Well Allen called me back. After speaking to the company he is sure that he only has the regular Sweetex in stock. He did tell me to give it another try and if I still had a problem we'd have to figure it out. Hopefully it was a FLUKE icon_evil.gif !!!!!

AlanT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AlanT Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 4:10pm
post #5 of 23

My information to T was incorrect. My local salesman told me all the Sweetex was going to be Non Trans-Fat but that was incorrect as well. Because we are located in New York, he assumed I would only carry the Non-Transfat that is required in NY City. My business in NOT in NY City so I can sell the regular Sweetex. I called the manufacturer and was informed that they now sell Sweetex-Z which does NOT contain Trans-fats. We do not stock that product at this time.

We only carry and repack the traditional Sweetex that has always been used. I can guarantee that! With that said, I too have noticed that my buttercream seems to be gritty. But, it did soften after a few hours. I just had a call from a second customer with the same issue. All three of us have used Donimo's Sugar. I am not sure what is causing this gritty icing but I will keep experimenting to find out. In the meantime, if anyone is using regular Sweetex and having this issue, please email me at [email protected] and let me know what type of sugar you are using. I really do want to get to the bottom of this problem so we all can have creamy buttercream again! Alan

AlanT Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 4:11pm
post #6 of 23

My information to T was incorrect. My local salesman told me all the Sweetex was going to be Non Trans-Fat but that was incorrect as well. Because we are located in New York, he assumed I would only carry the Non-Transfat that is required in NY City. My business in NOT in NY City so I can sell the regular Sweetex. I called the manufacturer and was informed that they now sell Sweetex-Z which does NOT contain Trans-fats. We do not stock that product at this time.

We only carry and repack the traditional Sweetex that has always been used. I can guarantee that! With that said, I too have noticed that my buttercream seems to be gritty. But, it did soften after a few hours. I just had a call from a second customer with the same issue. All three of us have used Donimo's Sugar. I am not sure what is causing this gritty icing but I will keep experimenting to find out. In the meantime, if anyone is using regular Sweetex and having this issue, please email me at [email protected] and let me know what type of sugar you are using. I really do want to get to the bottom of this problem so we all can have creamy buttercream again! Alan

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 4:14pm
post #7 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracyj

Hopefully it was a fluck!

No no no no no--I make TONS of typos tons and tons
But I love this one...It's so close yet so far away. icon_lol.gif

Did you mean fluke or dot dot dot

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 4:35pm
post #8 of 23

I just about shot milk through my nose over that!

Tracyj Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 4:56pm
post #9 of 23

LOL!! TYPO!! Answering the phone and typing is NOT a good idea!!!

sweetflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetflowers Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 4:56pm
post #10 of 23

Here in California, we were informed that Sweetex would only give us 0 trans fat by 2010. They started making it and selling it here last June (maybe before). That was when I got the 0 trans fat one by mistake and it is much more yellow and a lot softer than the trans fat version. I'll go back to crisco before I use the sweetex 0 trans fat it was that bad.

Deb_ Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 8:19pm
post #11 of 23

I always use Domino's brand sugar and haven't had the "gritty" problem so far. However, I am still using Sweetex that I ordered in September so maybe that's a different batch......I hope it's just a "fluck" icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

butternut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butternut Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 8:24pm
post #12 of 23

Hey guys, just wondering, are we talking about Domino's granulated sugar or confectioners sugar?

Deb_ Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 8:30pm
post #13 of 23

Confectioners sugar

aa053103 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aa053103 Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 8:31pm
post #14 of 23

Dkelley, I also buy Sweetex from the Bakers Kitchen. I did notice the last time I bought from them the packaging is different. It no longer says Sweetex and the buckets come like in the Satin Ice buckets but without the handle. I suggesty if you want to get high-ratio shortening get it from them. It's the cheapest you will find unless you buy a 50lb block.

diane706 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane706 Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 8:38pm
post #15 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth0209

I just about shot milk through my nose over that!

icon_lol.gif I hate when that happens!! LOL You guys are too funny...

butternut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butternut Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 8:43pm
post #16 of 23

Thanks Deb. I use hi ratio shortening that I purchase from my local cake supply store. It's not sweetex, mine is called HYMO. I always use Domino sugar and have never had an issue with grittiness in my icing. It always turns out super smooth and creamy. I just made 8 batches over the last couple of weeks using Domino sugar that I recently purchased and again they all turned out really creamy. So, I've not had an issue with the sugar.
Just thought I'd share.

bostonterrierlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bostonterrierlady Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 9:06pm
post #17 of 23

I only do cakes as a hobby. I have some sweetex in my pantry. But i have decided I am only going to use Crisco trans fat free from now on. I just cannot stand the thought of using trans fats. It is so bad for you. When I use Crisco prople cannot tell the difference. They always tell me they like my frosting and that they like the look of my cakes.

AlanT Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 10:46pm
post #18 of 23

Please be sure if you are comparing prices and purchasing Sweetex from any vendor in containers smaller than a 50 pound box, it should state that it is Sweetex. The food laws allow us to repack products as long as we state we are repacking the product. There are numerous cheaper high ratio shortenings on the market but none have the same qualities as Sweetex. However, I will look into adding Alpine and possible HMO that are good shortenings and less expensive.

JustToEatCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustToEatCake Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 12:35am
post #19 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by K8memphis-

Quote:

I giggled when I read the typo earlier and now reading your response I can't stop laughing, I have tears.....tks

suzylynn58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzylynn58 Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 1:34am
post #20 of 23

My supplier is only carrying Sweetex Z now. I have been using it for several months. Now that the weather is getting cooler, I have noticed the Sweetex has a grainy texture. It does smooth out once I mix my frosting (Sugarshack's recipe). But after it sits awhile it becomes filled with bubbles and I have to stir and stir to get is smoothed out again.

I use the 7 lb bags of p. sugar from Sams.

-K8memphis Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 1:44am
post #21 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustToEatCake

Quote:
Originally Posted by K8memphis-

Quote:

I giggled when I read the typo earlier and now reading your response I can't stop laughing, I have tears.....tks

What the fluck?? icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Tracyj Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 3:15pm
post #22 of 23

Yall are hurting my feelings seriously icon_wink.gif !! I'm going to pull out all of your typo's from now on! icon_razz.gif Glad I could make you laugh, sorry for the milk icon_redface.gif

-K8memphis Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 5:09pm
post #23 of 23
Quote:

Yall are hurting my feelings seriously icon_wink.gif !! I'm going to pull out all of your typo's from now on! icon_razz.gif Glad I could make you laugh, sorry for the milk icon_redface.gif

Just mine alone my typos would be a full time job!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%