Questions Re Fondant On Cookies

Baking By tujy Updated 6 Dec 2009 , 6:29am by sugarandslice

tujy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tujy Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 12:47pm
post #1 of 6

hi

i'll be making about 200 wedding cookies for my sister next month. i have only used royal icing on cookies before, but i think it will take too long to make them if i use this type of icing. so now i am planning on using fondant on the cookies with a little royal icing decorations. i just had a few questions about this method.

i've put fondant on buttercream cupcakes before, and after a while the fondant absorbed the oil from the buttercream and became a bit sticky. will this happen on a cookie (i'm using the peggy porschen recipe)? i'll also be sticking the fondant on with a little bit of water if that makes a difference.

the fondant gets a bit of a crust if left in the open - does that mean i MUST NOT roll it too thin otherwise it will go yukky and hard? what is an ideal thickness (i don't really want it too thick because its too sweet)

how long do i wait before putting them in bags?

will they sweat in the bags? its going to be the middle of summer and probably a very hot day (i'm assuming maybe 30 degrees celsius at noon, altho there is air con)

and finally what is the best tasting fondant to use? I'm in sydney, so i'm considering regalice, pettinice or orchard brands mainly. i don't really want to make my own fondant or mmf, etc.

tia

5 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 1:12pm
post #2 of 6

To put fondant on cookies:
1. cut out all the fondant shapes using the cutter you'll use for the cookies. Lay them flat and cover with plastic film. Cut as many as will be in the first baking batch.

2. Cut out cookies and bake.

3. As SOON as the cookies come out of the over - before they're even off the baking sheet - and while they're still HOT, lay the fondant on top fo the cookie.

4. Use a spatula to remove the cookie to a cooling rack.

As it cools, the fondant will laminate itself to the cookie. Later you can decorate with RI or whatever.

Do Not wait too long to remove the cookie to the cooling rack, as the fondnat will wrinkle.

Roll the fonndat no thinner than 1/8" and frankly I much prefer 1/4".

Of the brands listed, I prefer Pettinice.

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 6:51pm
post #3 of 6

That's all I use is fondant on my cookies.

Anything in a bag in heat will sweat. The fondant color will also fade in the sun. Ask me how I know! Leave them in A/C if possible.

Fondant won't absorb the grease from the BC because there won't be any BC on the cookie. icon_smile.gif

It doesn't get any harder than RI does; I actually think it stays a bit softer than RI on a cookie.

I apply it with RI since I decorate the day after I bake. I can bag within a few hours of decorating, but in the heat you might want to wait at least 12 hours.

I like Satin Ice, but it's the only one I've tried other than Wilton.

tujy Posted 6 Dec 2009 , 6:20am
post #4 of 6

sorry i should have clarified - no i won't be sticking the fondant to the cookie using buttercream. my worry was whether the butter from the cookie will soak into the fondant - this has happened to me once when i used royal icing on a cookie on a warm day.

tujy Posted 6 Dec 2009 , 6:23am
post #5 of 6

o also, does anyone know how "regalice" black fondant (or any of their fondants) tastes? satin ice is a bit expensive here so i wasn't really looking into using it. the only other black fondant i've heard of is "cake art" but i've already used their red and it was really sloppy to use - i'm guessing the black will be sloppy as well and require mixing in some regular white fondant to make it easier to roll out?

sugarandslice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarandslice Posted 6 Dec 2009 , 6:29am
post #6 of 6

tujy, Cake Art black IS quite difficult to work with as it is (in fact I hate using it straight from the packet). I've kneaded some Pettinice chocolate fondant in with it because the choc is quite 'tough' so it balances the 'sloppiness' of the black. Also, it's quite dark so you don't dilute the black colour as much as when you mix it with white. HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%