Polar Express Cake

Decorating By amberkw Updated 2 Dec 2009 , 10:39am by rainbow_kisses

amberkw Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 12:37pm
post #1 of 19

I am the activities director @ our church and am throwing a Polar Express pajama party/ breakfast next Tues. night. The theme is "Believe." Conductors will be giving out tickets at the door, and Santa will be there at the end. People are bringing muffins, donuts, and sugar cookies for dessert. I am going to make a cake. Either a huge sheet cake or a few tiers. I want it to go along w/ our theme. ANY IDEAS???????????

A sheetcake ticket? or.......???????????????????? HELP!

18 replies
rainbow_kisses Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 12:49pm
post #2 of 19

For a tiered cake option how about a white cake covered in snowflakes with a train going around one tier top and a big christmas tree and elves on the top almost like the journey in the movie.maybe with tickets alongside the snowflakes.

amberkw Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 3:15pm
post #3 of 19

That would be cute. How would you make snow, to give it some dimension?

KHalstead Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 3:43pm
post #4 of 19

love the tiered cake design already spoken about.........(love that movie too)........for realistic snow you can take white royal icing and spread it out on a piece of parchment paper, super thin layer...and then when it's totally dry (only takes a couple of hours to overnight depending on humidity) crunch it up and you can add some "pixie dust" from www.cakesbysam.com which is a realistic edible glitter...or you could just mix some of the "cake glitter" by wilton but it's not AS pretty........although, all 3 might look pretty cool!!! Then you could just pipe on some wet royal around the edges of the tiers and put the fluffy (dried royal) snow onto it, or just mound it around the base of your cake. I think the background color of your cakes should be a deep blue, and maybe pipe some royal icing snowflakes and hit them with some luster dust to really make them "pop" off the background color!!

Can't wait to see this cake!!!

amberkw Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 6:57pm
post #5 of 19

I think I need to watch the movie tonight! While I start on a sleeping beauty cake. Lol. Its how it goes, isn't it?

KHalstead Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 7:08pm
post #6 of 19

oh you've never seen it?? Def. watch it, such a good movie!! Many many breathtakingly beautiful scenes to choose from for this cake.

you know how sometimes you look at a still shot of something and you just say "that is sooooooo beautiful" and you just can't stand it it's so pretty? Well, a lot of that movie is like that.
Amazing what they can do with computers!

matthewkyrankelly Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 7:16pm
post #7 of 19

A wonderful "snowy" effect would be to use a pale ice blue background with white sparkling sugar. It will have a cool, beautiful, ice and snow look to it. You could also even pipe some very simple stars all over the cake to simulate some flakes. In addition, you could pull out a few dozen of the snowflakes from a winter sprinkle mix to add to the look.

The combination of all the different looks will fool the eye into giving the cake dimension without having to make every snowflake perfect.

PS - They even make some toy battery trains that would fit on the cake. I've seen them locally for a buck or two. They are stocking stuffer size.

rainbow_kisses Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 10:44am
post #8 of 19

I agree about the animation in the movie. It is a fav in our house with my 3 year old daughter she loves it. but then again so does my husband but he is a computer artist and games designer so is a lot into the animation art.
I also agree with making it a dark blue colour and for a frosty effect maybe try lustering the cake. I use a cutter for snow flakes and just pipe some RI into piles and dots around the cake or like PP mentioned.

amberkw Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 4:29pm
post #9 of 19

What color of blue should I use? I have navy, royal, sky, electric & light blue. What do you think would be a good mix? I want to do that dark midnight sky blue.

bobwonderbuns Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 4:34pm
post #10 of 19

The Polar Express is like one of my favorite movies!!! icon_lol.gif In fact I watched it so many times last year I am planning on doing a bunch of polar express inspired cookies this year! icon_biggrin.gif You'll get lots of ideas from that movie! icon_biggrin.gif

emiyeric Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 4:44pm
post #11 of 19

I actually haven't seen it either (I know, 50 lashes with a wet noodle!) and am dying to ... just lots of clips here and there. It does look beautiful. I'll probably rent it this weekend and watch it with the family. I love love love the "snow flurry" tips I've seen on this thread, though ... can't wait to see the finished cake!

sugalips Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 4:59pm
post #12 of 19

The "Polar Express" lives in our town. The train makes a couple of runs every night. Everyone, parents included, are in pajamas, hot chocolate, singing, Santa gives out silver bells. Amazing experience. A cake at the station would be awsome!

emiyeric Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 6:30pm
post #13 of 19

That sounds like a blast! I'm a total Christmas geek, and I would kill for something like that in my neck of the woods! icon_smile.gif

amberkw Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 6:34pm
post #14 of 19

My hubs goes on a hunting trip every year out to Durango. All the way from Georgia. He loves it. I will have to ask him if he knows of the polar express there.

sugalips Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 8:02pm
post #15 of 19

Since we don't have grandkids....yet, my DH and I want to borrow someone's little kids just to go ourselves! (Looks kinda out-of-place, two grown ups in their jammies by themselves icon_redface.gif ) A sheet cake "ticket" would be cool. You could have cupcakes as the "holes" that were punched out.

revskg Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 8:26pm
post #16 of 19

If you go with the tiers with snow/train idea, you could bake a Wilton Mini Ball Cake and decorate it to look like the bell from the movie. It would be really cool on top of the cake.

amberkw Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 9:34pm
post #17 of 19

In my mind - this cake is getting bigger and taller w/ so many cool ideas.

JsHaLL Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 4:51am
post #18 of 19

Wilton has a couple of GREAT train cake molds. After watching the movie, you would know the color scheme and design to decorate the train. After completing the train, place it on top of either a sheet cake decorated like a ticket ( sprinkle snow on the ticket, too) or on top of a couple stacked round tiers, designed with various pine trees (snow on boughs), etc. You can also pipe the railroad tracks under the train. Let your imagination go wild. This movie is FANTASTIC and the graphics are unbelievable!! icon_smile.gif

rainbow_kisses Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 10:39am
post #19 of 19

amberk for a midnight blue colour I would use navy blue with a touch of black. I can not wait to see what you finally do. I dont have very adventurous customers this year so did not get to do big fancy cakes, and my sons have designed my cake so I did not even get to go wild there. but good luck with what ever you design and I can not wait to see it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%