Exploding/starburst Design

Decorating By BarbaraK Updated 2 Dec 2009 , 12:34pm by Makeitmemorable

BarbaraK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BarbaraK Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 8:29am
post #1 of 5

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1297110

Could someone please explain to me how to do this design? I think I have some idea but would appreciate if it could be explained.

4 replies
sugarandslice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarandslice Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 10:10am
post #2 of 5

Hi Barbara, I see you're in Melbourne. If you can get hold of a copy of the Planet Cake book it has excellent step-by-step instructions. If you don't want to fork out for it, try your local library, mine has a copy.

Basically, you put a fondant circle of your accent colour in the middle of your tier before you cover with fondant. Then when your fondant is attached you take a very sharp knife and cut through both the fondant and your accent colour circle then carefully prise up each of the points and bend them back. It's difficult to get the points looking sharp and smooth and you have to work quickly.

HTH
Emma

Makeitmemorable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Makeitmemorable Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 2:30pm
post #3 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarandslice

Basically, you put a fondant circle of your accent colour in the middle of your tier before you cover with fondant. Then when your fondant is attached you take a very sharp knife and cut through both the fondant and your accent colour circle then carefully prise up each of the points and bend them back. It's difficult to get the points looking sharp and smooth and you have to work quickly.

HTH
Emma

Hi Emma - you are right thumbs_up.gif you do need to cut the fondant asap otherwise it will crease or dry out. Barbara a pizza cutter works really well and you get great lines with it.

BarbaraK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BarbaraK Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 9:56am
post #4 of 5

Thanks for the info Emma and Kim.

Cake is due Saturday. Hope it turns out okay! icon_biggrin.gif

Makeitmemorable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Makeitmemorable Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 12:34pm
post #5 of 5

Look forward to a pic as usual - you will be great - best of luck with it thumbs_up.gif .

I am making a Skateboard this week for my son - it's the closest he will get to one LOL! icon_razz.gif

Happy Baking and creating

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%