My First Everything Cake

Decorating By JustToEatCake Updated 30 Nov 2009 , 5:05am by JustToEatCake

JustToEatCake Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 4:10am
post #1 of 7

Here is a picture of my Thanksgiving Cake. It's a cake of first's.
1st time freezing cake layers
1st time making ganache
1st time smoothing a cake (ganache)
1st time making gumpaste
1st time making figures or anything in gumpaste
1st time making fondant
1st time putting fondant on cake
1st time making Tylose Glue

Well...just really the first time for everything. The family loved the cake and of course they thought I was some kind of genius..haha..even though it's so basic and they haven't seen all of you guy's cakes on here. Everything turned out well. I am now a bit scared to try to smooth buttercream for under fondant because the ganache went so well. I did learn I needed to not scrape off so much ganache on the sides when smoothing. I didn't crumb coat because it didn't need it. I did have some PS spots on top but I couldn't figure out how to steam it with a kettle.

If anyone else read the turntable thread the other day the cake is sitting on a marble cheese turntable of my sister's that I want but she won't let me have, but I "can" borrow it...

PS: Why is it everytime there are attachments in a post I get double attachment windows for EVERY ONE but the second set doesn't have anything in them?
LL
LL
LL

6 replies
icer101 Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 4:29am
post #2 of 7

every thing you did for the first time...looks great.. really good job...

lomikesa Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 4:33am
post #3 of 7

You did a great job! It looks like you been doing this type of cake all of the time.

Great job for the first time, imaging two years from now.

Lomikesa

sugarandslice Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 4:41am
post #4 of 7

Fantastic job. It's a really great cake. You should be very proud.
My first fondant cake was done with ganache too and I can't imagine using anything else either.
Can't wait to see what you accomplish next! thumbs_up.gif

aundrea Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 4:43am
post #5 of 7

your cake is adorable! fantastic job for your first time.
i love the color of the cake. WTG!

rosiecast Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 4:44am
post #6 of 7

Great job. Love it!! congrats

JustToEatCake Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 5:05am
post #7 of 7

Thank you all, you're so kind. As far as the color of the cake when the SO saw it without it's decorations he thought it was a wheel of cheese..lol..which actually gave me some ideas like..cheese, mice, trap etc..

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%