Stacking Offset Tiers

Decorating By beachmama Updated 13 Dec 2009 , 1:49am by juleebug

beachmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachmama Posted 29 Nov 2009 , 10:08pm
post #1 of 4

I am making a round, 3 tiered cake. I want to have more ledge to decorate on the top of each tier. I was planning on stacking them not centered, but offset to make more space. Will this work? And when I put a dowel down through, I would put it through the center of the cake's gravity, won't be the center of the cake though. Right? I don't even know if my question makes sense or not. Thanks for any help you can offer!

3 replies
brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 29 Nov 2009 , 10:51pm
post #2 of 4

it will kind of work, in that at the front you will have extra space, but at the back, you wont have any (or very little - depends on the sizes and how off set they are). remember the spacing at the back will also affect what border you can use.

cant help with that dowel question, i dont center dowel. but my inclination would still be to put it down the centre of the top tier.
xx

Brendabeeper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brendabeeper Posted 13 Dec 2009 , 12:58am
post #3 of 4

beachmama did you make this cake off centered? I am making a off centered square one tonight. how did you dowel this? ANYONE PLEASE HELP..

juleebug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juleebug Posted 13 Dec 2009 , 1:49am
post #4 of 4

Brendabeeper,

I did an off center square last month. I left just enough room at the back to do the border. All the weight was to the back of the cake. As beachmama said I placed the center dowel through the cake's center of gravity, not the true center of the cake.

I don't know if that helps but feel free to PM me with any questions you have. I'll do my best to help.

In case the galleries are still messed up, you can go here to see the cake :
http://cakecreationsbyjulia.com/images/cakes/Belcher.jpg

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%