Home Business In Virginia.

Business By rissadragons Updated 1 Dec 2009 , 8:58pm by Mabma80

rissadragons Posted 29 Nov 2009 , 8:55pm
post #1 of 14

Does any one know the laws in Virginia about baking cakes from your personal kitchen? I wanted to start an in home cake business but I heard that you cannot do that in Virginia. I have read the food and health regulations in Virignia but they weren't clear.

13 replies
IsaSW Posted 29 Nov 2009 , 11:15pm
post #2 of 14

Yes you can, I got my kitchen inspected in July, and now I am legal. I can bake from my home.
You call The dept of Agriculture and tell them you want to bake cakes from home, they will send you a package and you start from there.

This is the info you need:

Rick Barham
Regional Manager
Food Safety and Security Office

phone: 804.225.4527
fax: 804.371.7792

rissadragons Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 7:25pm
post #3 of 14

Thanks so much!

Sugar_Bunny Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 5:53am
post #4 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by IsaSW

Yes you can, I got my kitchen inspected in July, and now I am legal. I can bake from my home.
You call The dept of Agriculture and tell them you want to bake cakes from home, they will send you a package and you start from there.

Rick Barham
Regional Manager

Can you please tell me if there are any specific requirements (for example, more than 1 sink, oven, fridge) or if you had to make any modifications to your kitchen? I am also considering starting up a home business. Thanks. icon_smile.gif

Sugar_Bunny Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 5:57am
post #5 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by IsaSW

Rick Barham
Regional Manager

Can you please tell me if there are any specific requirements (for example, more than 1 sink, oven, fridge) or if you had to make any modifications to your kitchen? I am also considering starting up a home business. Thanks. icon_smile.gif

IsaSW Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 5:27pm
post #6 of 14

Yes, double sink a must. No pets makes it easier. I thought you could not have pets, but the inspector says you can, its just that you would have to pass a more deeper inspection I guess.

I didn't have an extra fridge when he came in the house, but I showed him, where we were going to place it once I bought one. He inspected with a flash light that area.

Other than that my kitchen is as normal as any house kitchen, very small 10x10.

LaBellaFlor Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 5:45pm
post #7 of 14

I notice if you have pets, thats when they want a sample of your product for testing. I've never heard of anyone without pets having samples tested.

Mabma80 Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 8:27pm
post #8 of 14

This is great news!! My husband might be getting a job there, and wanted to get going on my cake business!! YAY!

LaBellaFlor Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 8:28pm
post #9 of 14

Let us know when you get here!

Mabma80 Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 8:34pm
post #10 of 14

You bet I will! It would be so nice to already know people I have something in common with!! YAY!!!!

I think the job is in Richmond, VA.

LaBellaFlor Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 8:43pm
post #11 of 14

There are a few of us located right here in Richmond. We have started metting once a month. I techinally live in Chesterfield County, but have a Richmond address. You'll see that a lot. Everything is pretty close here in Cnetral VA.

Mabma80 Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 8:48pm
post #12 of 14

NICE! Now I just have to pray REALLY hard that he gets the job!

LaBellaFlor Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 8:54pm
post #13 of 14

I pray for EVERYBODY to get a job in our country right now. Sorry to the OP for jacking your thread. Don't worry about a thing. it's very easy to get inspected here. I think the hardest thing (at least for me) was typing out the recipes and procedures.

Mabma80 Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 8:58pm
post #14 of 14

Yeah! Sorry for borrowing your thread. I was just excited to see your question. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%