How Much To Deliver?

Decorating By kakedreamer1212 Updated 30 Nov 2009 , 2:03am by sisita

kakedreamer1212 Posted 29 Nov 2009 , 5:22pm
post #1 of 11

I just wondered what the rate is to deliver a cake to the venue and set up. I once read someone say they charge a dollar a mile, round trip. Does this sound reasonable or do you just have a set rate for certain areas? It seems that it would be difficult to determine exact milage to a venue if you've never been there before.

10 replies
leah_s Posted 29 Nov 2009 , 5:33pm
post #2 of 11

Mapquest will give you the mileage.

In town I charge $50 minimum delivery. If the cake is very large or complicated to set up, or across the county line, I'll charge more.

kakeladi Posted 29 Nov 2009 , 5:50pm
post #3 of 11

I didn't charge for delivery. It was figured into the price of the cake. People think they are getting something for free icon_smile.gif
If it was an extra long trip then I would add like $50. Think of what you could be doing - how many cakes - what value they are while you are on delivery. Maybe you could do another 1 or 2 cakes if you didn't have to take that much time out.
Be sure when you book more than one cake that you have to deliver & set up that you figure when, where and how long it's going to take. I have sometimes had to turn down orders because the times were too close together while on opposite ends of town.

cylstrial Posted 29 Nov 2009 , 10:48pm
post #4 of 11

The reason people charge a $1 per mile, roundtrip is because that is supposed to cover wear and tear on the vehicle, gas, paying someone to transport the cake (even if it's yourself), plus the loss of other cakes that you could be making.

Mensch Posted 29 Nov 2009 , 10:56pm
post #5 of 11

Come on people!!!!!!

What about your TIME?

I charge lots for delivery. My TIME is worth so much more than gas (or wear and tear on the vehicle) will ever amount to.

indydebi Posted 29 Nov 2009 , 11:04pm
post #6 of 11

And it's ROUND TRIP miles, not one-way miles. Your employee (which is sometimes YOU) clocks in when they get in the van with the cake in the back, and they clock out when they return the delivery vehicle to "home base" and hang the keys back on the rack.

sisita Posted 29 Nov 2009 , 11:12pm
post #7 of 11

Hi, How much do you charge for 7-8 hours round trip?

Relznik Posted 29 Nov 2009 , 11:16pm
post #8 of 11
Originally Posted by sisita

Goodness.... would you really do that? I just wouldn't contemplate a journey that long. I'd tell them to find a cake maker nearer home!!

Mind you, I've had someone come across London for a cake, and with traffic, that can take over an hour or even an hour and a half!!

indydebi Posted 29 Nov 2009 , 11:24pm
post #9 of 11
Originally Posted by sisita

Let's assume at an avg speed of 60 mph, that you'll cover 60 miles per hour x 8 hours = 480 miles x my rate of $1.25/mile = $600 delivery fee. And I'd probably add some to it just for the PITA fee ..... rest stops, per diem meals, etc. I know a photographer who mandates a hotel room if he has to travel more than 3 hours one way.

Face it .... if I'm gone all dang day just to deliver your wedding cake, then that means I have to turn down ALL OTHER ORDERS for that day because I'll be in the van delivering YOUR wedding cake. You want to tie me up all day .... you're paying for my time.

MerlotCook Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 12:04am
post #10 of 11

I deliver my cakes in town for free if they are easy to set up, as in it will take 10 minutes. If it is a more difficult cake I charge $25...Over 30 miles is $1 mile. BTW, my town is about 1/2 mile traveling is nothing!

sisita Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 2:03am
post #11 of 11

Thanks Indydebi, I am thinking something in around that price. Thanks again...

Quote by @%username% on %date%