Where Can I Find....

Decorating By kathys90 Updated 30 Nov 2009 , 4:43pm by kathys90

kathys90 Posted 29 Nov 2009 , 2:44am
post #1 of 8

White Oleo? I've recently moved to Northeast Texas, and the one cake supply store I could find doesn't carry it. I use it to make my buttercream frosting recipe.

They sold me a product that they say will work in place of the white oleo (or white margarine), but I haven't had the courage to use it yet, as it was awfully expensive for the small amount they sold me.

I've looked at all the local grocery stores, and tried to find something online similar to Gordon Food Service in Michigan, but with no luck.

Any suggestions???

7 replies
JanH Posted 29 Nov 2009 , 9:15am
post #2 of 8

White oleo is/was margarine that required the purchaser to manually knead in the (supplied) coloring agent.

The cake decorating store probably sold you (white) hi-ratio shortening, which is the icing and cake shortening (Sweetex) that GFS could special order for making American buttercreams.

Local grocery stores don't carry carry hi-ratio shortening, just the AP type like Crisco.

Here are some really great hi-ratio shortening recipes:
(Also includes several popular CC Crisco based buttercreams recipes.)

kathys90 Posted 29 Nov 2009 , 10:59pm
post #3 of 8

Thanks for the advice Jan, but the stuff I bought wasn't Sweetex. It says that its "Partially Hydrogenated Soybean & Palm Oil with mono & diglyceride & Polysorbate 60 & Soy Lecthin". I asked at the store if it could be used with Sweetex, inplace of the white oleo and they said yes, but I'm very apprehensive about trying something like this and possibly ruining my buttercream.

My recipe calls for both Sweetex and white oleo, and I'm really nervous about trying something different, as I've had great success with my recipe...tight budget and all.

I appreciate your response, and thanks again...maybe someone else has an idea on where I can get the oleo. icon_smile.gif

kakeladi Posted 29 Nov 2009 , 11:17pm
post #4 of 8

I don't think anyone makes white oleo anymore. Well, w/the possible exception of maybe a health food store might carry something close.
I would suggest you try a small batch of your b'cream recipe using what the store sold you. 1/2 or even 1/4 your recipe to see if it makes any change - I doubt it will icon_smile.gif

kathys90 Posted 29 Nov 2009 , 11:37pm
post #5 of 8

Thanks Kakelady, I'll give it a try!

lutie Posted 29 Nov 2009 , 11:39pm
post #6 of 8

We used to buy the white oleo in Iowa when we lived in the
Dairy State...WI would not allow it to be sold back a long time
ago, so people would take trips to Iowa and fill up their trunks
with the stuff...I was always assigned to mix in the yellow dye
when I was a kid...forgot all about it! Thanks for the memory.

So, maybe someone in Iowa that is a member of CC would be
able to tell you icon_smile.gif

DianeLM Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 1:03am
post #7 of 8

I see you're in Bedford. Did you purchase PS99 hi-ratio shortening from Elizabeth's? If so, it's a good product, but VERY stiff. It killed my Kitchen Aid. I recommend nuking it for a few seconds, then beating it for a few minutes before adding other ingredients.

kathys90 Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 4:43pm
post #8 of 8

I think you may be right, and I did buy it at Elizabeth's. Out of habit, I put it in the fridge, and the darn thing is near rock hard. I'll have to bring it to room temp well in advance of using it this weekend. Thanks for the tip! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%