New York Cake Business Out Of House (Nassau County)

Business By LilReese Updated 7 Jan 2010 , 11:41pm by CakeDiane

LilReese Posted 28 Nov 2009 , 11:04pm
post #1 of 6

Being that there are so many different rules and regulations for different states and counties, I figured that maybe anyone in New York/Nassau County had some tips on opening a business out of my home. And what steps to take first.

Thank you in advance!!

5 replies
Uniqueask Posted 28 Nov 2009 , 11:27pm
post #2 of 6

I am approved to bake from home cakes, cupcakes, muffins, cookies and pies. but I got approved through the Newyork state agriculture markets, that is where my HD sent me through, I can make birthday cakes, but not wedding cakes, or at least he says not to advertise it as wedding cakes, I live upstate though, and also I had to go through the code enforcement, and had to be approved by the board.(that is for your county). so now I am working on purchasing my Insurance, and applying for my sales tax certificate. I got approved just last week. or should I say Inspected and license.

rosiecast Posted 29 Nov 2009 , 5:17pm
post #3 of 6

Congrats Unique!! and good luck in your business.

Lilreese- hope you find out the info you need.

Uniqueask Posted 29 Nov 2009 , 6:12pm
post #4 of 6

Thank You so very much rosiecast thumbs_up.gif

LilReese Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 11:00pm
post #5 of 6

Anyone else have any insight of NY specifically??

CakeDiane Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 11:41pm
post #6 of 6

Hi there--sorry I just saw this post today....I'm in nassau county too--Long Island is a pain in the butt--the only way anyone can get a home kitchen is if you're selling a product wholesale--like selling cheesecakes to a restaurant. We can't sell directly to customers...it sucks and makes no sense. And it's so frustrating to know that people in other states can do it, but we can't...

I haven't been able to find any commercial kitchens to rent either...it's very discouraging....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%