Torch Buying Advice, Please

Decorating By kimberlychapman Updated 6 Dec 2009 , 5:52pm by tobeydechristopher

kimberlychapman Posted 28 Nov 2009 , 8:01pm
post #1 of 7

I have some projects in mind for which I need to finally get myself a torch.

I've read good reviews of the Bonjour one available on Amazon for $24 right now (not sure how long that price will last, it was $28 when I looked a few weeks ago).

But I'm wondering if I'm better off going to Home Depot for a regular torch. Will the Bonjour one have enough oomph to do the various things needed in sugar work?

I admit that having a larger one makes me a bit nervous. I definitely want a built-in starter to ease my nerves. I'd also like it to be stable upright, and I want it to fit well into my relatively small hands so I can sweep it over poured sugar evenly and safely.

Any suggestions?

6 replies
-K8memphis Posted 28 Nov 2009 , 8:13pm
post #2 of 7

I just got one from my hardware store with the starter attachment.
I've never used any of the gourmet ones.

leah_s Posted 28 Nov 2009 , 8:42pm
post #3 of 7

I have the small one and like it fine. My hot food chef friends make fun of the little ones. But for smaller hands, smaller projects, and sugar work, I've found the little one to be just fine.

kimberlychapman Posted 29 Nov 2009 , 6:26pm
post #4 of 7

K8memphis, how heavy is yours? If you had to hold it over poured sugar for awhile to get rid of bubbles, would that be awkward?

Is it very tippy?

Thanks!

sweet-n-sassy Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 5:47am
post #5 of 7

i have one that i bought at a hardware store, that's what we used in school for all our sugar work and at work for our creme brulees. i think unless you are using it for a lot of small detail work, a big one should be fine. just definatly make sure it's one that has a starter, that makes it so much easier.

kimberlychapman Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 5:52am
post #6 of 7

Thanks for the info!

I went out and bought one from the hardware store today, with a starter built in as per the excellent advice I got here. icon_smile.gif

Haven't done anything with it yet other than turn it on and confirm that it works without blowing me to bits...

tobeydechristopher Posted 6 Dec 2009 , 5:52pm
post #7 of 7

Do torches leave black soot marks?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%