How Would You Transport This Cake???

Decorating By rc4642 Updated 29 Nov 2009 , 4:32am by khoudek

rc4642 Posted 28 Nov 2009 , 3:29pm
post #1 of 7

We are making a 3 tier fondant covered cake for my mothers 70th birthday. We are driving 4 hours from Orlando to Miami. Should I transport the cake assembled or disassembled. Thanks everyone in advance!

6 replies
lilscakes Posted 28 Nov 2009 , 3:34pm
post #2 of 7

Personally I would transport disassembled and assemble on site. That's what I've always done with all my cakes that have to be transported a long distance.....easier on the nerves icon_smile.gif

leah_s Posted 28 Nov 2009 , 3:46pm
post #3 of 7

For three tiers and fondant, I'd assemble with SPS and go fully assembled.

Faffy Posted 28 Nov 2009 , 4:38pm
post #4 of 7

What is SPS?

leah_s Posted 28 Nov 2009 , 8:40pm
post #5 of 7

Just read my signature line.

confectionsofahousewife Posted 28 Nov 2009 , 11:48pm
post #6 of 7

I just did a very similar thing for my grandmother's 90th birthday last month. I iced and covered each tier in fondant at home. I transported the tiers un-stacked (three hour drive). When I got to my parent's house I stacked and finished decorating them. I was too nervous to drive three hours with a stacked three tier cake. Good luck!

khoudek Posted 29 Nov 2009 , 4:32am
post #7 of 7

I think whether you stack or unstack depends on how comfortable you feel with the stability of how you stack. I dowel everything with a center dowel down the middle and into the cake board. I use the Rubbermaid shelf liner under the cake to prevent sliding, and under the box. I place the cake in the center of my van so the bounce factor isn't a big issue. I've traveled across country with a stacked cake, and all was fine. One final thing, a cold cake travels best.

Quote by @%username% on %date%