Temperature Of Egg Whites?

Decorating By herlittleway Updated 29 Nov 2009 , 4:19am by __Jamie__

herlittleway Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
herlittleway Posted 28 Nov 2009 , 2:28pm
post #1 of 6

Hi everyone,

I just made some Swiss Meringue Buttercream last evening using a recipe and youtube video from DyannBakes.com.

When making this type of frosting you need to cook the egg whites and sugar over a pot that has simmering water. The recipe creator says to cook until the egg whites reach the temperature of 140 degrees, which I did. But after coming across a website that stated 160 degrees is the temperature to reach in order to make the egg whites safe to eat, I'm wondering if I did the right thing. Do any of you know which source to believe?

Thank you!
Rebekah

5 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 28 Nov 2009 , 3:10pm
post #2 of 6

I think it's 160 by government standards if memory serves. But I would eat your icing and I have a very ticky tummy--next time go higher but this batch of icing is fine I'm sure.

backermeister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
backermeister Posted 29 Nov 2009 , 2:58am
post #3 of 6

You could also use pasturized egg whites so that the worry of food borne illness is erradicated.

MJoycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MJoycake Posted 29 Nov 2009 , 3:31am
post #4 of 6

I go to 160 when I make SMBC....it always turns out fine taking it up to that temp, so I do it just to be safe.

MJoycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MJoycake Posted 29 Nov 2009 , 3:32am
post #5 of 6

I go to 160 when I make SMBC....it always turns out fine taking it up to that temp, so I do it just to be safe.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 29 Nov 2009 , 4:19am
post #6 of 6

Ditto to the 160.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%