Need Recipes For Birthday Cake

Baking By river425 Updated 28 Nov 2009 , 6:24pm by river425

river425 Posted 28 Nov 2009 , 6:54am
post #1 of 5

I've never been much into baking until about 2 weeks ago when I started thinking about making my daughter's 1st birthday cake myself to make it a little more personal. At first I was more interested in the decorating part so I read everything I could get my hands on, and now with 2 practice cakes finished I'm a little more confident, but would love to make a cake from scratch instead of using box mix like I've been doing. My idea for her cake is to do a 2 tier white and pink cake. The actual cake part I want to do a white and pink checkered cake with vanilla icing on the first tier and strawberry icing on the second tier and then cover it with mm fondant and decorate. Problem is I don't really know any good 'from scratch' cake recipes. If anyone could help me find a great recipe for white cake, strawberry cake, vanilla icing, strawberry icing, and some sort of filling I'd be very appreciative. There are just too many recipes in the recipes section and I'm feeling very overwhelmed!!

4 replies
mommyle Posted 28 Nov 2009 , 7:20am
post #2 of 5

I would suggest working with the White Almond Sour Cream recipes. I know it starts with a box, but it's also a scratch, I love it, and so does my mom (who HATES box mixes!!! hahahhahaha!!!!) Good luck!!! Keep posting your questions, and you will find a HUGE amount of knowledge here!
Good luck!

emiyeric Posted 28 Nov 2009 , 9:40am
post #3 of 5

I could not be more enthusiastic about the WASC! Yes yes yes! Fail-proof, perfect for stacking, wonderful texture.

Go ahead and do a search for Macsmom here. If you click on the link to see her posts, there is a thread in which she has been incredibly involved, "Help! Gourmet flavors..." which is WONDERFUL. Her signature line containes a link to a Google Doc which lists dozens of wonderful recipes, most of them WASC-based, most of them hers, which many of us have tried and enjoyed thoroughly. It' nice because there aren't a milliin versions o every flavor (like there are in the recipe section here), and you know that most of the recipes here have been actively tested with consistent results (if you get the chance to browse through the thread later, do so! You'll learn so much!).

HTH!! Have fun with your daughter's cake!

snocilla Posted 28 Nov 2009 , 12:11pm
post #4 of 5
river425 Posted 28 Nov 2009 , 6:24pm
post #5 of 5

Thank you everyone! Those recipes look great and I think I know what I'm going to do. And now I have ideas for a Christamas cake and my birthday cake too! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%