Gp Rolled In Pasta Machine Has A 'rough' Surface. Why?

Decorating By MrsNancyB1 Updated 28 Nov 2009 , 9:55pm by Cakepro

MrsNancyB1 Posted 28 Nov 2009 , 6:49am
post #1 of 7

I've been rolling GP in my pasta machine, so that I can construct loopy bow loops.

The very first pieces of GP that I rolled came out with a smooth finish. Subsequent pieces came out with a very rough surface. I figured it must be some dried GP on the rollers, that is making the impression on the GP, but even after cleaning it thoroughly the problem was still there.

I also tried using a thin film of Crisco and cornstarch (not at the same time) on the rollers to make sure to prevent sticking, but I was having the same problem.

Why? What is going on here?

FTR, I was rolling my GP at a 3 (with 1 being thinnest) since I was making bows, and didn't want the GP to be too thick looking. Could this have contributed to the problem?

Any insight into this? TIA!

6 replies
sherrycanary62 Posted 28 Nov 2009 , 11:09am
post #2 of 7

I sometimes have this problem too, what I found is to knead a little crisco into the gp and then roll out with my roller, then start on 9 and then move to 5 and then three, I know I know alot of work but it seems to get a smoother effect. Also remember to keep your gp covered when not working with it, it dries out so fast. I use a gallon size zip top bag, slit up one side and across the bottom and grease the inside of the bag to keep the gp moist but you can also use a piece of saran over the top and cover with a cup or glass.

hth

dsilvest Posted 28 Nov 2009 , 12:21pm
post #3 of 7

Check the area underneath the rollers for residue. If there is anything it will roughen up the fondant or gumpaste. Clean the underneath area often.
Use cornstarch or ps to roll out the gp or fondant.

leah_s Posted 28 Nov 2009 , 12:44pm
post #4 of 7

And whatever the numbers are, start with the thickest, then go down one number , then go down one number etc. On my machine I start at setting "1", and put the gp thru, then go to setting "2" and put the gp thru, than go to setting "3" and put the gp thru.

JenniferMI Posted 28 Nov 2009 , 1:28pm
post #5 of 7

I not sure what you are doing exactly so this is my best advice. Dust paste, roll it thin BEFORE putting into the pasta machine. Start at the thickest setting and dial the number up after each time you roll the paste thru. Sounds like you have paste UNDER the rollers. Take a damp paper towel and rub it back and forth ONLY under the rollers until you can't feel any residue. Then, take a dry cloth and do the same. NEVER clean from the top, ever, especially if it's a Kitchen Aide pasta roller. It can suck a cloth into the machine SO fast...then the machine is designed to break so your KA doesn't. Been there, done that icon_smile.gif Gone thru two in classes...

Jen icon_smile.gif

MrsNancyB1 Posted 28 Nov 2009 , 9:12pm
post #6 of 7

Thanks ladies! I'll have to try gradually decreasing the thickness as I roll. icon_smile.gif

Cakepro Posted 28 Nov 2009 , 9:55pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenniferMI

NEVER clean from the top, ever, especially if it's a Kitchen Aide pasta roller. It can suck a cloth into the machine SO fast...then the machine is designed to break so your KA doesn't. Been there, done that icon_smile.gif Gone thru two in classes...

Jen icon_smile.gif

Yeah...KA pasta rollers also quickly eat the little brush that comes with them. *Sigh*

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%