Advice Please!

Decorating By kakedreamer1212 Updated 29 Nov 2009 , 2:14pm by tiggy2

kakedreamer1212 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakedreamer1212 Posted 28 Nov 2009 , 6:00am
post #1 of 12

I have a wedding cake due next moth and I know its not huge but it's the largest one that I've ever done. The sizes are 8, 10, 12, and 14 inch round, fondant covered. I actually have 2 questions, I usually use 3 layers of foam core board for my base with 3 tier cakes,will this be enough support for this size cake or is there another, sturdier option? and as I will be delivering this cake, would it be better(safer) to travel with this cake assembled or should I assemble on site?

11 replies
JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 28 Nov 2009 , 1:30pm
post #2 of 12

Personally, I always use 3/4" plywood. I want a STURDY base. A 4 tier fondant cake is REALLY heavy. I never travel with them all together...just two at the most. Again, that's me.
I think there is more room for gravity to kick in if they are all together icon_smile.gif
Jen icon_smile.gif

backermeister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
backermeister Posted 28 Nov 2009 , 4:12pm
post #3 of 12

I agree with using the plywood. You could assemble the two large tiers on the board and then assemble the two smaller tiers together but wait to place the smaller at your location. Cause even with plywood that will be a heavy cake. hth icon_biggrin.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 28 Nov 2009 , 11:58pm
post #4 of 12

Jennifer is 'the' pro......listen to her icon_smile.gif

kakedreamer1212 Posted 29 Nov 2009 , 2:23am
post #5 of 12

Thaks for the advice. I've never used plywood before, do you just cover the board with fanci foil like you would any other cake board?

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 29 Nov 2009 , 2:34am
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakedreamer1212

Thaks for the advice. I've never used plywood before, do you just cover the board with fanci foil like you would any other cake board?

You can cover your board any way that you want to. You can roll fondant and put it on the board and then put a ribbon around the edges.

Or you can put scrapbook paper on the board and then put clear contact paper over the scrapbook paper and then put a ribbon around the edge.

Or you can put fanci foil on there.

It's whatever you want to do really.

aundrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundrea Posted 29 Nov 2009 , 2:36am
post #7 of 12

i bought my plywood at lowes - good price and all different sizes are available or they will cut for you. i use glad press and seal to cover the plywood then add fondant or whatever you want ontop of that. never a problem. my sisters cake i just did (the orbs one in my pics) was on plywood that i had them cut for me. thank god i did because that cake was soooo heavy. note: plywood does add additional weight to your cake as well.
i do put my cakes on foamcore usually i do as many foamcore layers as cake layers. and i cover them as well in press n seal.
HTH

kakedreamer1212 Posted 29 Nov 2009 , 2:47am
post #8 of 12

Thanks again and just one more question. I would usually use 1 Wilton cardboard base under the other 3 cakes that are to be stacked on top of the forth teir but sometimes if the cake to be stacked is heavy, this doesnt seem like enough support. I dont double up on these because I'm afraid the board would be to thick and difficult to hide with a border. What do you guys suggest using under the teirs that will be stacked? Do you just double up on the cake board? Hope I havent confused you.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 29 Nov 2009 , 2:55am
post #9 of 12

Use foamcore board between the tiers. Cut it to the size of the layer and frost over it.

aundrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundrea Posted 29 Nov 2009 , 3:09am
post #10 of 12

i gave up on wilton cake boards along time ago. not worth the money for the product. use foamcore cut to size and you can frost or cover in fondant. you may need to double up the foamcore. you can also cut a little smaller-i mean just a tad-then the actual cake to help hide the peek thru.
also-i learned from sharon zambito, to use your firm frosting to act as a puddy to cover any peek through's.
HTH

kakedreamer1212 Posted 29 Nov 2009 , 3:29am
post #11 of 12

Well, I know I said oly one more question but I guess I lied. LOL! Something else about this cake that is bugging me..... bride said that her sister has a nut allergy. I will be using the WASC recipe but will be omiting the almond extract because I have found that ppl. in my area are not to crazy about the almond taste in cake. Is there anything in this recipe that I should be concerned will send the sister of the bride to the emergency room?

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 29 Nov 2009 , 2:14pm
post #12 of 12

Unless your kitchen and all utensils are nut free I would advise the bride of that. You can't gurantee that there wont be a trace of nuts in something.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%