Crusting Buttercream Won't Crust.

Decorating By Faffy Updated 30 Nov 2009 , 5:27pm by 2SchnauzerLady

Faffy Posted 28 Nov 2009 , 5:43am
post #1 of 16

I am a little discouraged, my crusting buttercream won't firm up after sitting for several hours. I have tried to use the paper towel tecnique to smooth it out but all it does is stick to the paper and leave a textured bumpy mess. Is it because I live in the Pacific north west and the humitity is too high and interferes with the crusting (we have had 40 days of rain in a row, Bella Swan would be pretty depressed right now if she were here) lol. Any help would be appriciated.

15 replies
lilthorner Posted 28 Nov 2009 , 5:57am
post #2 of 16

whats the recipe? have u tried to add more powdered sugar?

Faffy Posted 28 Nov 2009 , 6:03am
post #3 of 16

The recipe is.. 1 cup high ratio shortening 1 tbs merengue powder 1tsp clear vanilla extract 4 cups powdered sugar 2 to 3 tbs milk.

Faffy Posted 28 Nov 2009 , 6:05am
post #4 of 16

I didn't want to add more sugar because it then gets so thick. Is that the problem with the crusting, not enough sugar?

lilthorner Posted 28 Nov 2009 , 6:07am
post #5 of 16

well a 1 to 1 (fat to sugar) will crust but it seems like the humidity is preventing that.. if u have a problem with the thickness you can up the sugar but use more liquid to think it out.. There is (i believe) a recipe for high humidity buttercream on here

lilthorner Posted 28 Nov 2009 , 6:13am
post #6 of 16

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/4123/High-Humidity-Buttercream

a lot of people use indydebi's recipe also which is similar I believe

Faffy Posted 28 Nov 2009 , 6:20am
post #7 of 16

Thank you so much for the link!!! I have printed the recipe and I will give it a try next week. Do you think the Dream whip called for in the recipe is the powder or the allready prepared stuff??

lilthorner Posted 28 Nov 2009 , 6:25am
post #8 of 16

im sure it's the powder

Faffy Posted 28 Nov 2009 , 6:58am
post #9 of 16

Thanks a bunch!! icon_biggrin.gif

JenniferMI Posted 28 Nov 2009 , 1:36pm
post #10 of 16

Humidity or not enough sugar is usually the problem...

Jen icon_smile.gif

brincess_b Posted 29 Nov 2009 , 1:46pm
post #11 of 16

i think you need a diferent paper towel too, using a patterned one means you end up with it imprinted in your bc. that methos requires a totally unpatterend one.
xx

Faffy Posted 29 Nov 2009 , 8:39pm
post #12 of 16

So from what I can see it is a humidity problem, so I will use the recipe for high humidity and see what happens. Thank you all. icon_smile.gif

Peridot Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 1:35am
post #13 of 16

You need to use Viva paper towel! And the Dream Whip in Indydeb's BC - you use it in the powdered form. Great recipe I use it when I want a crusting buttercream.

JustToEatCake Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 2:36am
post #14 of 16

Indydebi's recipe worked absolutely perfectly for me and I am a total novice. It crusted beautifully. I added a tsp or tbl (can't remember which) of lemon extract and it made it sort of refreshing. I added the lemon in place of the Almond Extr it calls for. I don't like almond ext. I made my frosting on a rainy day and it still crusted within a short time.

Oh yes and it is the powdered Dream Whip. You find it on the baking isle around the "no bake cheesecake" stuff in my grocer. It's in a box.

rustidog Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 5:18pm
post #15 of 16

You can try to add more meringue powder to it. It is humid in Singapore, so I always add a tablespoon of meringue powder to my CBC.
Ginny

2SchnauzerLady Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 5:27pm
post #16 of 16

I used to live in Florida and summers there are very high humidity - you feel like you're breathing in water - Indydebi's holds up well there.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%