Crusting Buttercream Won't Crust.

Decorating By Faffy Updated 30 Nov 2009 , 5:27pm by 2SchnauzerLady

Faffy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Faffy Posted 28 Nov 2009 , 5:43am
post #1 of 16

I am a little discouraged, my crusting buttercream won't firm up after sitting for several hours. I have tried to use the paper towel tecnique to smooth it out but all it does is stick to the paper and leave a textured bumpy mess. Is it because I live in the Pacific north west and the humitity is too high and interferes with the crusting (we have had 40 days of rain in a row, Bella Swan would be pretty depressed right now if she were here) lol. Any help would be appriciated.

15 replies
lilthorner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilthorner Posted 28 Nov 2009 , 5:57am
post #2 of 16

whats the recipe? have u tried to add more powdered sugar?

Faffy Posted 28 Nov 2009 , 6:03am
post #3 of 16

The recipe is.. 1 cup high ratio shortening 1 tbs merengue powder 1tsp clear vanilla extract 4 cups powdered sugar 2 to 3 tbs milk.

Faffy Posted 28 Nov 2009 , 6:05am
post #4 of 16

I didn't want to add more sugar because it then gets so thick. Is that the problem with the crusting, not enough sugar?

lilthorner Posted 28 Nov 2009 , 6:07am
post #5 of 16

well a 1 to 1 (fat to sugar) will crust but it seems like the humidity is preventing that.. if u have a problem with the thickness you can up the sugar but use more liquid to think it out.. There is (i believe) a recipe for high humidity buttercream on here

lilthorner Posted 28 Nov 2009 , 6:13am
post #6 of 16

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/4123/High-Humidity-Buttercream

a lot of people use indydebi's recipe also which is similar I believe

Faffy Posted 28 Nov 2009 , 6:20am
post #7 of 16

Thank you so much for the link!!! I have printed the recipe and I will give it a try next week. Do you think the Dream whip called for in the recipe is the powder or the allready prepared stuff??

lilthorner Posted 28 Nov 2009 , 6:25am
post #8 of 16

im sure it's the powder

Faffy Posted 28 Nov 2009 , 6:58am
post #9 of 16

Thanks a bunch!! icon_biggrin.gif

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 28 Nov 2009 , 1:36pm
post #10 of 16

Humidity or not enough sugar is usually the problem...

Jen icon_smile.gif

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 29 Nov 2009 , 1:46pm
post #11 of 16

i think you need a diferent paper towel too, using a patterned one means you end up with it imprinted in your bc. that methos requires a totally unpatterend one.
xx

Faffy Posted 29 Nov 2009 , 8:39pm
post #12 of 16

So from what I can see it is a humidity problem, so I will use the recipe for high humidity and see what happens. Thank you all. icon_smile.gif

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 1:35am
post #13 of 16

You need to use Viva paper towel! And the Dream Whip in Indydeb's BC - you use it in the powdered form. Great recipe I use it when I want a crusting buttercream.

JustToEatCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustToEatCake Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 2:36am
post #14 of 16

Indydebi's recipe worked absolutely perfectly for me and I am a total novice. It crusted beautifully. I added a tsp or tbl (can't remember which) of lemon extract and it made it sort of refreshing. I added the lemon in place of the Almond Extr it calls for. I don't like almond ext. I made my frosting on a rainy day and it still crusted within a short time.

Oh yes and it is the powdered Dream Whip. You find it on the baking isle around the "no bake cheesecake" stuff in my grocer. It's in a box.

rustidog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rustidog Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 5:18pm
post #15 of 16

You can try to add more meringue powder to it. It is humid in Singapore, so I always add a tablespoon of meringue powder to my CBC.
Ginny

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 5:27pm
post #16 of 16

I used to live in Florida and summers there are very high humidity - you feel like you're breathing in water - Indydebi's holds up well there.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%