Please Help Before I Cry

Decorating By evbunt Updated 29 Nov 2009 , 4:31am by ailika

evbunt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
evbunt Posted 28 Nov 2009 , 1:58am
post #1 of 19

Hello wonderful people. Okay I have made 2 batches of MMF btween last night and today. After spending a couple hours (it seemed) trying to get the right color I knew something didn't seem right with it. It was very crumbly. I got some great advice from Texas Rose and tried multiple things (water, microwave, crisco, I don't know, I've honestly been kneading for 2 hours trying to fix it). I give up, i can't hardly move my right hand, so it's off t walmart I go for some Wilton.

But, here's my question. i've never covered a cake in fondant before. It's a barbie cake, it's already got the buttercream on it and the front of the dress has white fondant, stencilled and dustd - its beautiful! But, what do I do during my trip to Walmart? Leave it out? Will I have to do anything to the bc later, will it dry too much? I thought you needed to work rather quickly putting the fondant on a good base, so am I ruining it?

Sorry about mytypng, my keyboard is a little sticky after the hours of my sticky gross handson it looking for help!

I'm sotired, I need a beer and I can'[t move my ring fnger on my right had! Help s I don't ruin this cake, please???

18 replies
alene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alene Posted 28 Nov 2009 , 2:08am
post #2 of 19

You could throw some pastic wrap over it. It should be fine until you get back.

Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 28 Nov 2009 , 2:09am
post #3 of 19

You could spritz it with a little water to remoisten the BC right before covering with fondant.

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 28 Nov 2009 , 2:10am
post #4 of 19

Just stick it in the fridge while you're gone. It'll be fine. You just have yourself a little freaked out. Breathe lots of nice, fresh cold air on the way to Walmart and give yourself a chance to settle. It'll be okay.

I usually apply my fondant to chilled iced cakes just so it's easier to lift back up and move around without the fondant sticking to the soft buttercream. It just makes it easier for me.

emiyeric Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emiyeric Posted 28 Nov 2009 , 2:46am
post #5 of 19

Ditto on the spritzing lightly with water, it'll be fine!

evbunt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
evbunt Posted 28 Nov 2009 , 2:54am
post #6 of 19

Thank you for your replies. I put it in the fridge and I will spritz it when it comes time for that. I'm going to take a break and put my kids to bed before I start the chore of turnining this nice white fondant maroon - again. And, I need to let the advil kick in (for my hand) and a have an adult beverage (for my nerves) before I start kneading again! I don't know how you people do this daily. I am afraid I'd be a buttercream girl if I had to do this more than once every few weeks or my hand would fall off and I'd become an alcoholic!

Thanks again for calming me down...cc'ers to the rescue, again.

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 28 Nov 2009 , 3:18am
post #7 of 19

By best wishes to you.... I think you need to find a better fondant.

Jen icon_smile.gif

miamorsweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miamorsweets Posted 28 Nov 2009 , 3:39am
post #8 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by evbunt

Hello wonderful people. Okay I have made 2 batches of MMF btween last night and today. After spending a couple hours (it seemed) trying to get the right color I knew something didn't seem right with it. It was very crumbly. I got some great advice from Texas Rose and tried multiple things (water, microwave, crisco, I don't know, I've honestly been kneading for 2 hours trying to fix it). I give up, i can't hardly move my right hand, so it's off t walmart I go for some Wilton.

In response to the crumbly MMF, the only was I can use it is if I microwave it well and then add glucose while kneeding it with crisco on my hands. You could also use corn syrup, but it's sticky, whereas glucose is not. It's a lifesaver and the only way I can use MMF.

saffronica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saffronica Posted 28 Nov 2009 , 3:42am
post #9 of 19

If you decide to try making your own fondant again, add the gel color to the melted marshmallows before adding the powdered sugar. You'll find you need a lot less gel to get the same color intensity, and your texture won't get screwed up, either.

Good luck...I hope it works out for you tonight.

emiyeric Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emiyeric Posted 28 Nov 2009 , 3:44am
post #10 of 19

I adore Michele Foster's Fondant. It's been the most consistently perfect recipe I've ever used, and it's gotten to the point where I don't even worry about the texture, once the sugar's all worked in ... I pack it up and walk away because I know it will be perfec tthe next day no matter what I do to it. It's in the recipe section here ...

laurs_1981 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laurs_1981 Posted 28 Nov 2009 , 3:47am
post #11 of 19

i have cried over my cakes many times....and they always work out...if nothing other than a laugh in a few days comes out of it....you'll have learned something new...chin up...it's just cake icon_smile.gif

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 28 Nov 2009 , 3:59am
post #12 of 19

I hope you're feeling a little better by now.

I was going to suggest putting the fondant on in strips that look like gathered fabric, if you're afraid you'll have trouble covering the whole thing. It would be the same as doing a fondant drape, but you'd be putting it on vertically, from the waist of the doll down to the bottom. The seams in the fondant can be hidden by the pleats...hard to describe but really easy to do.

csorrell71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
csorrell71 Posted 28 Nov 2009 , 4:16am
post #13 of 19

I have found that if my mmf begins to crumble, I can melt a small amount of marshmallows (the amount depends on how much mmf needs repaired) and add them to it. It's messy to knead in, but it does the trick every time! Oh, yes. . . it will be HOT to work with, but only for a minute.
Christina

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 28 Nov 2009 , 4:51am
post #14 of 19

Did you use corn syrup in your mmf?

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 28 Nov 2009 , 5:07am
post #15 of 19

When I was taught how to do fondant I was told to always let the BC crust up for at least two hours before applying. This has always worked for me. In fact, the only time I have issues is when I don't give the BC time to crust up a bit.

tguegirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tguegirl Posted 28 Nov 2009 , 5:23am
post #16 of 19

Crumbliness sounds like there's too much powdered sugar to the amount of marshmallows. Did you check the recipe? It calls for a 16 oz bag of mini-marshallows to one 2 lb bag of powdered sugar. A lot of times, marshmallows are sold in 10.5 oz bags. If you used that bag instead, that might explain the crumbliness.

Good luck! I hope it turns out!

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 28 Nov 2009 , 5:55am
post #17 of 19

you really need to chill it prior to adding fondant, it makes all the difference really

jewelsq Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewelsq Posted 28 Nov 2009 , 6:10pm
post #18 of 19

I have only recently begun using MMF. I used to make my from scratch using a classic culinary recipe. I was having a tough time with the result of the classic recipe and decided to give the MM stuff a try. Boy! Was I glad! I really have an easy time with the mmf.

BUT, I have never been able to use 2 whole pounds of 10x in a recipe. It has never taken it. I live in NJ, so lack of humidity is generally not a problem. The MMF has always come out really pliable and even a bit stretchy.

ailika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ailika Posted 29 Nov 2009 , 4:31am
post #19 of 19

I never use the whole bag of 2 lbs either. I guess since I also live in a lack of humidity city (NY). I have never had an issue with the fondant it's always pliable and stretchy just like yours jewelsq.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%