My New Cricut!!!

Decorating By Brandy982006 Updated 29 Nov 2009 , 1:09am by Brandy982006

Brandy982006 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brandy982006 Posted 27 Nov 2009 , 9:04pm
post #1 of 18

I am SSOOOO excited...My wonderful Husband bought me a new cricut. It's the personal electronic cutter (not the big one, lol) and he also got me some cartriges to go with it. And so, here is how I got it:

We went to Wal-mart to wait in line for Black Friday special(yes, we waited 10 hours to get a black friday special for our kids, they are worth it). As we were standing there at about the Midnight hour I decided to take a walk and look at the Cricut because I saw a Joanne's or Michael's ad that they had a personal electonic cutter system on their door buster special for only 75 bucks. The personal cutter one was not on sale at Wal-mart and original price was 184 (they had the expression on their ad for 18icon_cool.gif. I looked at the Wal-Mart ad and saw that they will meet any competitors printed ad price for the exact item. My husband took the cricut up to the front and spoke to several Managers fighting his point that we should get it for the ad he had in his hand and showed them the Wal-mart ad that said they will meet the price. They disagreed for a few minutes because they said that they didn't want to lose that much money and then finally gave in to my husbands point and I got it for the 75 dollar price! I am all too excited icon_biggrin.gif

So, a question I had was...How do I use it!! LOL. I mean, do I let the gumpaste sit and a harden a bit before putting it into the cricut or can I just roll it out and stick it right into the machine. I am excited to use it but afraid of ruining it, LOL.

17 replies
Brandy982006 Posted 27 Nov 2009 , 9:06pm
post #2 of 18

Oh, he also purchased some cartriges that were in the wal-mart ad for only 30 bucks. Original price was 60. Can' wait to play with it icon_biggrin.gif

MnSnow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MnSnow Posted 27 Nov 2009 , 9:17pm
post #3 of 18

I got one today too!!
Then I went on Linda McClure's website and ordered her 2 dvds on how to use the cricut with gumpaste!

I'm so pumped now to try it out!!

dg10148 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dg10148 Posted 27 Nov 2009 , 9:28pm
post #4 of 18

I got one too but my husband said I have to wait until Christmas to open it then I told him he could not open the 50 in plasma he got for Christmas we are both happily playing with our new toys.
Hey Christmas is for kids anyway

Brandy982006 Posted 27 Nov 2009 , 9:42pm
post #5 of 18

MnSnow: I will have to go on Linda McClure's website and check out the dvd's. i would love to learn how to use it correctly.

dg10148: My husband tried to tell me I had to wait until Christmas as well...Like I said TRIED! LOL

mariahbakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariahbakes Posted 27 Nov 2009 , 11:03pm
post #6 of 18

I got mine today, too! Yay for Black Friday! icon_smile.gif

Brandy982006 Posted 28 Nov 2009 , 12:36am
post #7 of 18

Ok, so I am playing with it right now and I am getting frustrated...How thin do I have to roll the gumpaste?? It just seems to pull it up off the little mat thing.?. I need to research this some more, LOL.

And yes mariahbakes...YAY for Black Friday! icon_biggrin.gif

JustToEatCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustToEatCake Posted 28 Nov 2009 , 1:43am
post #8 of 18

Well I just typed a long response but it disappeared so I'll just say "I GOT ONE TODAY TOO! I bought it for myself on a whim seeing them at Joanns this morning!

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 28 Nov 2009 , 2:02am
post #9 of 18

I got one too! Went to Joanne's this morning! They were out of cartidges because I got there late.

andpotts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andpotts Posted 28 Nov 2009 , 2:48am
post #10 of 18

Yippie for all of you Congratulations!! I got the Linda McClure DVD's and she spells out how to go through the whole process in detail and they are worth the price just so you know how to do it without ruining your machine thumbs_up.gif I got one of the Joann specials online just for caking and I'm thrilled.

I already have a Cricut E and I love it beyond words. I know you all want to jump into gumpaste right away, but if you're looking for help with using the cricut in general Jen over at My pink stamper is a godsend! She has tons of video tutorials and tips that will help you learn the ins and outs of the Cricut in no time thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif www. my pinkstamper .com (no spaces)

Then cartridges are great, especially if you can snag them for a good deal (never ever pay full price!) but I highly reccomend SCAL Sure Cuts A Lot, it is a program that makes it possible to cut out ANY design or font, beyond awesome. You can go here for outstanding info and tutorials about it. www. scrappingtable .com (no spaces) So happy so many of us got in on such an awesome deal!! I have done my part to stimulate the economy icon_biggrin.gif Andrea

Brandy982006 Posted 28 Nov 2009 , 3:57am
post #11 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by andpotts

Yippie for all of you Congratulations!! I got the Linda McClure DVD's and she spells out how to go through the whole process in detail and they are worth the price just so you know how to do it without ruining your machine thumbs_up.gif I got one of the Joann specials online just for caking and I'm thrilled.

I already have a Cricut E and I love it beyond words. I know you all want to jump into gumpaste right away, but if you're looking for help with using the cricut in general Jen over at My pink stamper is a godsend! She has tons of video tutorials and tips that will help you lear the ins and outs of the Cricut in no time thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif www. my pinkstamper .com (no spaces)

Then cartridges are great, especially if you can snag them for a good deal (never ever pay full price!) but I highly reccomend SCAL Sure Cuts A Lot, it is a program that makes it possible to cut out ANY design or font, beyond awesome. You can go here for outstanding info and tutorials about it. www. scrappingtable .com (no spaces) So happy so many of us got in on such an awesome deal!! I have done my part to stimulate the economy icon_biggrin.gif Andrea

Andrea...Thank you so much for the info. I do want to just jump into it but was getting frustrated with it. I will check out the websites you suggested and I want to get the dvd's by Linda McClure. Thanks again icon_smile.gif

andpotts Posted 28 Nov 2009 , 4:21am
post #12 of 18

You're very welcome, also just in case you haven't seen them, in these post some who have done it give some tips on how to cut gumpaste/fondant

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-640769.html

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-639855.html

twincakesanabelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twincakesanabelle Posted 28 Nov 2009 , 4:51am
post #13 of 18

Hi everyone, I am also excited my husband bought me one today at jo-ann's. Can't wait to try it. icon_biggrin.gif

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 28 Nov 2009 , 1:38pm
post #14 of 18

That is awesome, have fun!

Jen icon_smile.gif

adree313 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adree313 Posted 29 Nov 2009 , 12:46am
post #15 of 18

we (michaels) was open thanksgiving night and when i pulled up there was a huge line waiting to get in. can you guess what everyone was waiting for?? yup, the cricut! the managers yelled "we're opening the doors!" and they all rushed in with a crazy look in their eyes asking any employee that was near" WHERE ARE THE CRICUTS?!"

that said, i wish i could have gotten one icon_sad.gif

andpotts Posted 29 Nov 2009 , 1:04am
post #16 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by adree313

we (michaels) was open thanksgiving night and when i pulled up there was a huge line waiting to get in. can you guess what everyone was waiting for?? yup, the cricut! the managers yelled "we're opening the doors!" and they all rushed in with a crazy look in their eyes asking any employee that was near" WHERE ARE THE CRICUTS?!"

that said, i wish i could have gotten one icon_sad.gif

LOL, I really wonder what effect all of our talk on CC & other cake places had on the demand for Cricuts this year icon_wink.gif

Brandy982006 Posted 29 Nov 2009 , 1:07am
post #17 of 18
Quote:

i wish i could have gotten one icon_sad.gif

Oh man, so you guys can't wait in your own lines to get it cause you had to work icon_surprised.gif( That stinks. I'm sorry. I am still trying to figure mine out. I think I really need to let the gumpaste dry a bit more than I am but i am worried of letting it dry too much. I will figure it out though. Hope you get one soon thumbs_up.gif

Brandy982006 Posted 29 Nov 2009 , 1:09am
post #18 of 18

[quote="andpotts"]

Quote:

LOL, I really wonder what effect all of our talk on CC & other cake places had on the demand for Cricuts this year icon_wink.gif

There was a lady in the Walmart line with me who said she has the expression...she said she uses it for scrapbooking...when I told her I was going to use it for cake decorating, she looked at me like I had two heads, LOL. I explained to her what we do with it icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%