Cake Picture Submissions To Cc Magazine

Decorating By SharonK1973 Updated 11 Jan 2010 , 2:40pm by bobwonderbuns

SharonK1973 Posted 27 Nov 2009 , 6:20pm
post #1 of 27

Am I understanding this right? If you submit any cake picture to the magazine you cannot have that same picture posted on here or on a place like facebook? Also, do people get notified if their submission is chosen to be in an issue?

26 replies
cylstrial Posted 27 Nov 2009 , 10:07pm
post #2 of 27

I don't know if people notified if their picture is chosen to be in the issue. But it does say clearly that if you submit a photo of the cake, it can't be on any blog, or any website including cake central for an entire year after submission.

Here are the rules.

http://cakecentral.com/magazine/submit-photo

cylstrial Posted 27 Nov 2009 , 10:10pm
post #3 of 27

It sounds to me like they want to make sure they are getting new pictures of cakes!

This way they aren't going to publish a picture of a cake that you can find on cake central or facebook or a blog. Because if you're paying for a magazine - you want to see something new. Not something that you can get on the internet for free.

It makes complete sense to me!

all4cake Posted 27 Nov 2009 , 10:33pm
post #4 of 27

It makes no sense to me that total exclusiveness for an entire year to be used any way they'd like (and I truly mean no offense to anyone) without compensation is asked. I know...I know...if one doesn't like it, they don't have to participate....but still....

The most I've seen on a COMPENSATED photo is that it can't be published anywhere until after it's been published by the one doing the compensating...and even then there's a projected release date aaaaaaaaaaand a specific use of the submitted photo.

all4cake Posted 27 Nov 2009 , 10:36pm
post #5 of 27

That is the same as creating a cake/cookie/whatever JUST to submit it to the magazine....

WykdGud Posted 27 Nov 2009 , 10:38pm
post #6 of 27

Once it's published, there is no way to guarantee or police what the true owner of the pic does with THEIR photo. If I submit a photo to help fill the CC magazine's pages, if would be unfair for them to tell me I couldn't use MY photos of MY work to publicize MY business.

And if I did - would they then confiscate all the published magazines and cut out my photo?

I think it's awful that they would demand SOLE RIGHTS to my work - and that they should be able to make money off of me, but I can't publicize my work myself? I call B.S.

MORSELSBYMARK Posted 27 Nov 2009 , 10:52pm
post #7 of 27

Once published, they can't stop you from posting it to your own website/facebook page - you hold the copyright it says and I'm sorry, if I make a real showstopper that makes it into the magazine, why wouldn't you also want to showcase that on your own website - our customers won't be buying the magazine!

all4cake Posted 27 Nov 2009 , 11:04pm
post #8 of 27

I have seen quite a few cakes made by others and they don't have them on their site....but they do have a link to it...As seen in ....Brides...Southern Bride...Chocolatier...Whatever....on their site...

I'm not saying that a contribution of a piece to the magazine giving them first shot at posting it is out of the question...also
I'm not saying one should be compensated for a submitted piece....

I AM saying the rules seem extreme when it comes to exclusivity...

MORSELSBYMARK Posted 28 Nov 2009 , 12:11am
post #9 of 27

ditto

anamado Posted 28 Nov 2009 , 12:59am
post #10 of 27

All I know about cake decorating, I mean ALL, I have learned on this wonderful site. I have never spent a single coin on books or magazines. And that's what I love about CC: Everybody SHARING! This spirit is lost with this magazine's rules...
I know that sending pictures for it is a personal option, but that wouldn't be my case... My pictures are my pictures and I want to share them with everybody (just as everybody else has shared with me too) as or when I like.
Pictures, knowledge, experiences, ideas, ... that belong to me, are not to be restrained by others.

all4cake Posted 28 Nov 2009 , 1:03am
post #11 of 27

"All submitted content becomes exclusive to Cake Central for a period of one year from the submission date and cannot be published in print or online, including but not limited to blogs, websites, cakecentral.com galleries, magazines, news papers, television, and books."

Is it possible (and this question is posed for clarification...) to take several pictures of the same work...maybe different angles...and submit one that is used SOLELY for the magazine and not used elsewhere but a different angle can be used at the owner's discretion...like their website...?

Heath Posted 28 Nov 2009 , 4:21am
post #12 of 27

I understand all the different viewpoints being posted here, but the main concern that people brought up about the magazine was that they were getting something different than what they would find on the website.

The restriction is on the exact photograph, you can post different images of the cake elsewhere.

There are two choices, we can have a magazine full of stuff you can find elsewhere, or we can offer a magazine full of fresh content that brings unique value.

We are not going to compromise on the value-proposition of the magazine, so if you are uncomfortable with the submission rules then don't submit to the magazine and just post your photos on the website under the same old submission rules the website has always had.

There would be no point in having the magazine if it did not offer something unique.

It is not possible for us to make everyone happy, no matter what decision we make, so we are going to stay on the side of making the magazine be able to stand on its own as a valuable addition to the cake industry.

SharonK1973 Posted 28 Nov 2009 , 5:29am
post #13 of 27

I only asked the question because I wanted to make sure I understood the rules clearly so that if I ever thought to submit anything I would be submitting stuff that was acceptable. That's all...sorry if I have offended anyone. I wasn't asking for a compromise or to be made happy; I wasn't uncomfortable either way. I just wanted to make sure I understood correctly so as not to cause any inconvenience to anyone.

LaBellaFlor Posted 28 Nov 2009 , 5:50am
post #14 of 27

Heath I've read the regulations and understand them. I just need clarification on one part. When you say submitted pictures can not be used on other websites, are you also inclucing someone's personal business webiste or are you refferring to forum websites like Facebook, for example?

Everyone if you really think about the policy, it does make sense. One of the concerns is how exclusive is the information that we will be receiving from the magazine. If there are pictures I find on there, that I can see some where else, I may find the information I am getting from the magazine pointless and not as exclusive.

My only concern is though, if I am not allowed to submit a picture and then not be able to use it for my own business gain. That would be a detrement to my business and of course, I then wouldn't submit any photos.

costumeczar Posted 28 Nov 2009 , 2:01pm
post #15 of 27

I would think that people would use the fact that they were "published" in a magazine as part of their advertising, which is essentially how you get compensated for submitting photos. That's an added value to people who want to hire you...Being published gives you legitimacy to the client, and gives you an edge in your market. I use the names of magazines that I've had my cakes in as a part of my advertising. Just a thought.

cylstrial Posted 28 Nov 2009 , 2:08pm
post #16 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath



The restriction is on the exact photograph, you can post different images of the cake elsewhere.




LaBellFlora - I think you're ok on putting up pictures of the cake. You just can't post the exact picture of the cake that was published in the magazine. So if you take side pictures and post those - it seem like Heath is saying that's ok.

I don't think this is a bad thread at all. It's just clarifying the rules of the new magazine!

And I said it earlier, no one want to pay for something they can find on here free. That's why they don't want the same pictures posted.

The timeframe is probably because you might submit your picture on Nov. 28th - but say they don't decide to use your picture until October 31st. They still don't want you posting pictures until they have published that magazine.

Just think about what you would want or do if it were your magazine business! You would want it to be the best too!

KHalstead Posted 28 Nov 2009 , 2:46pm
post #17 of 27

I would much rather put a "See our latest cake creations in Cake Central Magazine here" and have a link to the mag or if you could photograph the page or something? That's WAY more profitable than just adding ONE more cake my galleries on my website!

all4cake Posted 28 Nov 2009 , 3:04pm
post #18 of 27

Thanks for the clarification Heath.

Would the submitter be notified if a photo will be used....and what issue it will be in?

A submitted photo doesn't guarantee it'll be published so a link back to the mag's site would be pointless ....

I agree it would be preferable to simply adding the photo to my website's gallery...

say...

one submits a photo (for the sake of this scenario, it's an awesome piece) but for whatever reason(...too many submissions with that theme...) it doesn't get used for the entire year. The submitter not only went without using (I know, Heath clarified other images of the cake can be used...but the whole reason for my other posts were before his clarification and I was clarifying my pps ...sorta) the photo on their site but also doesn't have the opportunity to have that satisfaction of posting a link back on their site exclaiming...see our latest work here....!

I don't mind, not one bit, giving them first shot at publishing a piece if I would be notified that it was accepted and what issue it'd be in aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand if I was no longer bound to exclusivity after it's been published.

Ya'll know there will be people out there taking those images from the magazine and posting them on their sites...and they're not even their cakes! and the creator will be there with their hands tied unable to share their own work on their own site.

anamado Posted 28 Nov 2009 , 3:29pm
post #19 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

I would think that people would use the fact that they were "published" in a magazine as part of their advertising (...) I use the names of magazines that I've had my cakes in as a part of my advertising. Just a thought.




Well, in this case, and as long as they are given the credit, that would be a positive thing. That and the fact that it has been clarified that we can use other pictures of the cake using other angles...

Heath Posted 28 Nov 2009 , 7:36pm
post #20 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonK1973

I only asked the question because I wanted to make sure I understood the rules clearly so that if I ever thought to submit anything I would be submitting stuff that was acceptable. That's all...sorry if I have offended anyone. I wasn't asking for a compromise or to be made happy; I wasn't uncomfortable either way. I just wanted to make sure I understood correctly so as not to cause any inconvenience to anyone.




No worries, you didn't offend anyone, its a completely valid question to raise. We certainly want everyone to be able to clearly understand the process and to ask clarifying questions. We of course also want to hear if people think something we do is unfair, so that we can have a dialog about it and make sure that everyone understands where all parties are coming from. Please don't ever feel bad about politely asking for clarification on anything.

Heath Posted 28 Nov 2009 , 7:40pm
post #21 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBellaFlor

Heath I've read the regulations and understand them. I just need clarification on one part. When you say submitted pictures can not be used on other websites, are you also inclucing someone's personal business webiste or are you refferring to forum websites like Facebook, for example?

Everyone if you really think about the policy, it does make sense. One of the concerns is how exclusive is the information that we will be receiving from the magazine. If there are pictures I find on there, that I can see some where else, I may find the information I am getting from the magazine pointless and not as exclusive.

My only concern is though, if I am not allowed to submit a picture and then not be able to use it for my own business gain. That would be a detrement to my business and of course, I then wouldn't submit any photos.




The only reason we would not want it even on a personal site is that it is now out there for the photo vultures to come and copy and print elsewhere.

The really simple and fair solution I think is, when you make the cake, take a ton of photos, keep some really good shots for your site, and then send in some different really good shots for the magazine.

Then, later, if your submission is published, you can also leverage that for promotion as well.

There is absolutely no desire to hurt anyone's business, in fact everything that Cake Central does is with the mission of helping you become a better decorator and a more successful business person.

Heath Posted 28 Nov 2009 , 7:45pm
post #22 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by all4cake

Thanks for the clarification Heath.

Would the submitter be notified if a photo will be used....and what issue it will be in?

A submitted photo doesn't guarantee it'll be published so a link back to the mag's site would be pointless ....

I agree it would be preferable to simply adding the photo to my website's gallery...

say...

one submits a photo (for the sake of this scenario, it's an awesome piece) but for whatever reason(...too many submissions with that theme...) it doesn't get used for the entire year. The submitter not only went without using (I know, Heath clarified other images of the cake can be used...but the whole reason for my other posts were before his clarification and I was clarifying my pps ...sorta) the photo on their site but also doesn't have the opportunity to have that satisfaction of posting a link back on their site exclaiming...see our latest work here....!

I don't mind, not one bit, giving them first shot at publishing a piece if I would be notified that it was accepted and what issue it'd be in aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand if I was no longer bound to exclusivity after it's been published.

Ya'll know there will be people out there taking those images from the magazine and posting them on their sites...and they're not even their cakes! and the creator will be there with their hands tied unable to share their own work on their own site.




Absolutely we will be notifying submitter's if their entry is going to be published. We will set up a review schedule so that you are notified in a timely manner.

As for people taking images from the magazine and posting them on their sites, you know we will be going after them aggressively to have the content removed. Just like we do when any of you contact us and tell us your work has been taken from CC and posted on another baker's website.

Heath Posted 28 Nov 2009 , 7:46pm
post #23 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by anamado

Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

I would think that people would use the fact that they were "published" in a magazine as part of their advertising (...) I use the names of magazines that I've had my cakes in as a part of my advertising. Just a thought.



Well, in this case, and as long as they are given the credit, that would be a positive thing. That and the fact that it has been clarified that we can use other pictures of the cake using other angles...




Yes we will definitely credit every photo published in the magazine, that's our whole point, to help highlight great work and the artists who made it thumbs_up.gif

all4cake Posted 28 Nov 2009 , 9:34pm
post #24 of 27

Thank you very very much!

MORSELSBYMARK Posted 28 Nov 2009 , 11:46pm
post #25 of 27

Thanks Heath!

11cupcakes Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 4:28pm
post #26 of 27

You allowed to submit different picture of the same cake on your website or facebook page, I think it's good enough.I like idea of magazine with fresh material.

bobwonderbuns Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 2:40pm
post #27 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by cylstrial

I don't know if people notified if their picture is chosen to be in the issue. But it does say clearly that if you submit a photo of the cake, it can't be on any blog, or any website including cake central for an entire year after submission.

Here are the rules.

http://cakecentral.com/magazine/submit-photo




Okay I have a question: This link is for photo submission. What if we want to submit a tutorial with photos? Is that allowed and if so what's the process?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%