Please Answer : )

Decorating By traceyjade Updated 27 Nov 2009 , 4:28pm by traceyjade

traceyjade Posted 27 Nov 2009 , 3:52pm
post #1 of 5

Can someone tell me how long this cake will be ok. I am wanting to make a gingerbread yule log cake on Sunday but the dinner is on Wed. The icing has whipping cream in it. Do you think it will be ok in the fridge? Or if not with that icing maybe I can use a buttercreme. Any suggestions would be apprecdiated.

4 replies
msulli10 Posted 27 Nov 2009 , 4:05pm
post #2 of 5

It should be fine in the fridge, but you should stabilize your whipped cream so your cake doesn't get soggy. Fresh whipped cream will ooze liquid as it sits. Do a recipe search for stabilized whipped cream.

leah_s Posted 27 Nov 2009 , 4:18pm
post #3 of 5

I don't think she's icing the cake with whipped cream. The icing has whipping cream in it.

It will be fine in the fridge, and probably doesn't even require refrigeration. Wrap it very securely or put it in a plastic container to keep it away from air and refrigerator smells.

-K8memphis Posted 27 Nov 2009 , 4:19pm
post #4 of 5

It's true that whipped cream often weeps however if it is whipped properly even without stabilization it will not weep--after all it will turn to butter if whipped too much and butter doesn't weep. But watch it carefully and get some nice perky stiff peaks and you're golden. It doesn't hurt to stabilize but if you want--be mindful of watching how the whipped cream whips and over time you will get it just right and can eliminate the stabilizer.

In fact if you ever wanted a crash course, take the whipped cream all the way to butter--then back if off next time to where it's still whipped cream but so very stable all on it's own.

Only add vanilla or powdered sugar after it starts to set up.
Start whipping it on medium speed so all of it gets happy and involved together--you can ramp up the speed too fast and miss a few water particles that can weep later. Stuff like that maybe.

Don't get whipped by your whipped cream thoughts for you.

traceyjade Posted 27 Nov 2009 , 4:28pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks for the quick responses, you guys are awesome thumbs_up.gif and K8 your too funny....I hope I don't get whipped icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%