Get Started??

Decorating By LadyC88 Updated 10 Dec 2009 , 2:24pm by LadyC88

LadyC88 Posted 27 Nov 2009 , 3:22pm
post #1 of 8

I'm very new to all this, but very enthusiastic and want to learn as much as I can about everything. I've got a few books and have made a few cakes and am basically learning through trial, error and tips I'm picking up along the way!

So, really, I'd love it if anyone could think back to how they got into cake baking and what really helped them learn. I'm planning on attending cake making courses etc but everything I know and do currently is from books. there just seems to be so much to learn and so much insiders tricks to discover, would someone let me know how they learnt the most and where from? Thank you! icon_smile.gif xxx

7 replies
Wiltonlady Posted 27 Nov 2009 , 3:46pm
post #2 of 8

Welcome To CC, LadyC88. You're about to become an addict.

I took the Wilton courses and I've learned everything else through CakeCentral, everyone here is very, very helpful.

sherrycanary62 Posted 27 Nov 2009 , 4:00pm
post #3 of 8

Welcome to CC..this is a great site!!!

I live in a very rural area and so when cake decorating struck my fancy...classes were out of the question as the nearest was over 2 hours away.

I found tons of helpful videos on you tube and of course lots of help here on CC. Also SugarTeachers has some awesome how to videos. There are also paid membership sites you can join...they have been helpful to me as well and worth the cost for me.

My interest in cake decorating came after watching The Food Network Challenge and thinking..."that aint so hard"...HA!!! so much more to it than one would think...but I have loved the learning journey every step of the If I could just figure out how to fund the addiction icon_biggrin.gif

msulli10 Posted 27 Nov 2009 , 4:06pm
post #4 of 8

I, too, took all the Wilton courses and learned everything else from CC and tv shows!

laurs_1981 Posted 28 Nov 2009 , 4:03am
post #5 of 8

what has REALLY helped me is to just remember that it's "just cake"........i have cried, i have said every bad word that i didn't even know i was capable of saying, i have thrown things in the garbage...and did i mention i have cried???...and it's all because i wanted to be perfect right from the beginning...but i'm a beginner.....if you just give yourself a chance, and learn from your mistakes, you'll do great!'re only your own worst critic...most people appreciate it even if you see the flaws...good luck!

JenniferMI Posted 28 Nov 2009 , 1:44pm
post #6 of 8

Just absorb what you can from wherever you can. With the internet, there are lots of sources out there.

Take classes (quality classes, important) and I think DVDs are a wonderful class on tape at a reasonable price. You can watch them over and over.

Have fun...sounds like the passion in your belly is full force. That is what you need for this "sport". icon_smile.gif

Jen icon_smile.gif

Uniqueask Posted 28 Nov 2009 , 2:05pm
post #7 of 8

Welcome to CC,

I also took all the Wilton courses, I bought dvd's from Sharon Zambito, her site is
you will want to get all of them if you can, and that very beautiful lady that posted before me, Jennifer Dontz, had great Dvd's also her site is
she is a great sugar teacher and is very helpful. you can also use the links in my signature for great recipies and tutorials. Have fun, you will learn a lot here. and did I tell you this site is very addicting.

LadyC88 Posted 10 Dec 2009 , 2:24pm
post #8 of 8

Thank you all so much! I'm sorry it's taken me so long to reply- I was waiting for a notification to tell me the thread had been replied to, so just had a lovely surprise finding all these responses! Thank you so much for your time and wise advice! icon_biggrin.gif I'm having so, so much fun planning and learning at the moment- unfortunately I'm also a full time nursing student so my essays are suffering a little, but what a way to go! icon_smile.gif

Thank you again!!xxx

Quote by @%username% on %date%