What's The Best Way To Cover Mr. Potato Head In Fondant?

Decorating By chanielisalevy Updated 28 Nov 2009 , 6:39am by CandyCU

chanielisalevy Posted 27 Nov 2009 , 1:49pm
post #1 of 4

The shape of the carved cake came out great, but now I'm afraid of covering it! Do I just do a "bandage" and have a seam in the back, or just go for broke and cover it from top down? Support please! Scared to ruin it! (it's not for a customer, only my 2 year old but his older simblings are my toughest critics!) Any advice?

3 replies
CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 28 Nov 2009 , 6:02am
post #2 of 4

Sorry, can't help...

Kitagrl Posted 28 Nov 2009 , 6:35am
post #3 of 4

I suppose it depends on how big it is...the smaller it is, the harder to cover....

I think since its larger at the bottom you may be able to just cover in one piece. I would try that first. You can always take it off and try a different way if you have to.

CandyCU Posted 28 Nov 2009 , 6:39am
post #4 of 4

Hi, from experience of trying to cover a sphere, I would suggest maybe having the seam at the back? With mine it was fine up until I got about 2/3 of the way down where it narrows, then it was just one great big mess.

With Mr Potato Head, the top and the bottom might be covered by a hat and feet/shoes so any cracks/small pleats could be hidden. But having said that, looking at my kids' Mr Potato Head, he has a fine seam running down each side of his body plus that bit at the back that flips open (the bit my kids call his bottom) to store the little pieces.

That sounds like an ultra-fun cake! You're gonna have to post pics when you're done!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%