Choc Cake/transfer Sheets

Decorating By Meg147 Updated 30 Nov 2009 , 9:09am by bashini

Meg147 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Meg147 Posted 27 Nov 2009 , 9:21am
post #1 of 13

A friend of mine wants a plain (yes plain) choc cake - no fondant/fancy stuff, just covered & filled with choc. It's boring, I know so I've been trying to find ways to spruce it up choc wise (she doesnt like ganache).

I've found some gorgeous choc snowflake transfer sheets which would be perfect, but do you have to coat the cake in buttercream 1st, or could I apply directly to the cake.

Any other suggestions on how to pretty it up would be most welcome.

TIA

12 replies
bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 27 Nov 2009 , 6:03pm
post #2 of 13

Hi, I alwasy do a thin layer of buttercream on the cake and then use the transfer sheet. icon_smile.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 27 Nov 2009 , 7:09pm
post #3 of 13

Bashini, seriously, how do you use a transfer sheet on buttercream? She's not talking about a FBCT, but a transfer sheet.

Spuddysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spuddysmom Posted 27 Nov 2009 , 7:34pm
post #4 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

Bashini, seriously, how do you use a transfer sheet on buttercream? She's not talking about a FBCT, but a transfer sheet.

Yes, I'm confused, too. You are talking transfer sheets that you would normally use on chocolate? Also, in the original post, how would you plan to use this directly on the cake?

bashini Posted 27 Nov 2009 , 8:52pm
post #5 of 13

Yes, I know exactly what she is talking about. When you apply a buttercream layer on the cake, it shouldn't be thick. It has to be a very thin coat, just enough for the transfer sheet to stick.

Here is the link to a cake that I did on bc,

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1305407

leah_s Posted 27 Nov 2009 , 8:57pm
post #6 of 13

I recognize the transfer sheet. But I still don't understand how you did it. It takes *heat* to make the transfer work.

bashini Posted 27 Nov 2009 , 9:02pm
post #7 of 13

Yes, so you need to melt the chocolate and when it cooled down a bit spread it on the sheet and leave it for few minutes and then attach it around the cake, and leave it to settle. But sometimes, if I'm in a hurry, I put the cake in the fridge for few minutes, to speed up setting of the chocolate. When its done, peel the sheet off.

Edited to post this link which I found. They are using a frosted cake here. You need to go by the numbers.

http://candy.about.com/od/phototutorials/ss/sbscaketransfer.htm

Meg147 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Meg147 Posted 29 Nov 2009 , 1:36pm
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by bashini

Yes, so you need to melt the chocolate and when it cooled down a bit spread it on the sheet and leave it for few minutes and then attach it around the cake, and leave it to settle. But sometimes, if I'm in a hurry, I put the cake in the fridge for few minutes, to speed up setting of the chocolate. When its done, peel the sheet off.

Edited to post this link which I found. They are using a frosted cake here. You need to go by the numbers.

Thanks Bashini, great minds think alike! I also found this site, but my friend so fussy, I'm not sure she even wants buttercream! I love the way you put the flowers around your cake - I might have a little copy if you dont mind! thumbs_up.gif

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 29 Nov 2009 , 2:05pm
post #9 of 13

if she wont let you use anything 'normal' to decorate her cake, then she has already decided what she wants. a dessert cake. cake, whipped cream, drizzled chocolate. sorted.
xx

bashini Posted 29 Nov 2009 , 4:38pm
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg147

Quote:
Originally Posted by bashini

Thanks Bashini, great minds think alike! I also found this site, but my friend so fussy, I'm not sure she even wants buttercream! I love the way you put the flowers around your cake - I might have a little copy if you dont mind! thumbs_up.gif

You certainly can copy it if you like. I was just wondering whether she would like ganache. Its not buttercream. Just chocolate and heavy cream. You can put a layer of it and do the transfer sheet.

traceyjade Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traceyjade Posted 29 Nov 2009 , 7:18pm
post #11 of 13

You can use a stencil and dust it with cocoa or icing sugar as well.

leah_s Posted 29 Nov 2009 , 8:32pm
post #12 of 13

bashini, that's the way I use the transfer sheets also. I thought you had figured out a way to get the transfer sheet to release the design directly onto the buttercream.

I know that people use a craft iron to release the pattern onto fondant.

bashini Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 9:09am
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

bashini, that's the way I use the transfer sheets also. I thought you had figured out a way to get the transfer sheet to release the design directly onto the buttercream.

I know that people use a craft iron to release the pattern onto fondant.

I have seen the craft iron too! But haven't bought it yet one though! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%