Help With Christmas Present For Budding Baker

Decorating By dsilbern Updated 28 Nov 2009 , 2:32am by dsilbern

dsilbern Posted 27 Nov 2009 , 6:24am
post #1 of 11

My niece is 10 and is interested in baking/decorating. I'd like to get her some kitchen supplies but the ones I've found seem to be for younger kids and I don't want to be the aunt who gave her a babyish gift. Does anyone know of some good quality baking / decorating kits suitable for preteens?

10 replies
Texas_Rose Posted 27 Nov 2009 , 6:49am
post #2 of 11

Depending on how much you want to spend, I would get a plastic turntable, box of disposable piping bags, some basic tips and some icing colors. They don't have to be designed for kids...my 7 year old uses my tools and the only thing that's really hard for her hands to hold are the bigger piping bags. Oh, and a plastic toolbox from Walmart ($3 and they're clear plastic and very cute, in the hardware department) to hold everything except the turntable.

caseyhayes Posted 27 Nov 2009 , 7:13am
post #3 of 11

You could buy her a cupcake decorating kit.

mommyle Posted 27 Nov 2009 , 7:17am
post #4 of 11

I would also throw in a recipe box with a couple of recipes that she loves. A couple of cookies, a couple of cakes, icing, royal icing, candy clay... That kind of thing. And blank cards. Perhaps some cute muffin papers and some boxes...

HowCoolGomo1 Posted 27 Nov 2009 , 7:20am
post #5 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

Depending on how much you want to spend, I would get a plastic turntable, box of disposable piping bags, some basic tips and some icing colors. They don't have to be designed for kids...my 7 year old uses my tools and the only thing that's really hard for her hands to hold are the bigger piping bags. Oh, and a plastic toolbox from Walmart ($3 and they're clear plastic and very cute, in the hardware department) to hold everything except the turntable.

What she said!

My niece also loves melting the Wilton melts and making her own chocolate lolly pops as part of her invitation for her birthday party.

My niece can't hold a candle to T_Rose's daughter, but she does love to try to make the roses. I bought a bunch of Hershey Kiss's a year ago and she did better butter cream Roses than her Gomo.

All that took was the #7 nail and the standard rose tip.

Maydo Posted 27 Nov 2009 , 7:20am
post #6 of 11

I don't know how much you want to spend, but you could get ther the new CC Magazine. The kids on my street spend so much time looking through my cake stuff....over and over...

tatorchip Posted 27 Nov 2009 , 10:41am
post #7 of 11

My Grandaughters love the aprons I bought them with their names on them and then maybe throw in some of the things mentioned by Texas_Rose also.

sherrycanary62 Posted 27 Nov 2009 , 1:32pm
post #8 of 11

Girl Gourmet has a line of products made especially for the budding cake/cupcake artist...I know I have seen them at Walmart

http://www.mygirlgourmet.com/products/girl-gourmet-bakery

Doug Posted 27 Nov 2009 , 1:34pm
post #9 of 11

Wilton Course 1 kit (all the basics)

and a

Gift certificate to take the Course 1 class

Mom23Angels Posted 27 Nov 2009 , 2:00pm
post #10 of 11

The Wilton course gift certificate idea is a great one. I took my 10 year old daughter last year.

They had a bit of an age limit....I don't remember exactly what it was, but I think that for kids under 12 they requried an adult to attend with them. If you go that route, just make sure to check with the store. My daughter did great, but I was glad that I was there with her to help.

What a fun idea for a Christmas present : )

dsilbern Posted 28 Nov 2009 , 2:32am
post #11 of 11

Thank you so much for all the great ideas. icon_biggrin.gif I know I'm going to order her a chef coat with her name embroidered on it. I think she'll get a kick out of it and I'll fill the tool box with a little of this and that. I'm also going to include homemade coupons she can redeem for "lessons" from me. That way we spend time together doing exactly what she wants to do baking wise.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%