Cake Meeting Ideas?

Decorating By sarag30 Updated 28 Nov 2009 , 1:29am by indydebi

sarag30 Posted 27 Nov 2009 , 1:23am
post #1 of 7

I have an opportunity to meet with the head of a large facility that has a market place, but also does weddings on site. My aunt currently rents their kitchen, but she uses it to only make pies. When we spoke she said that they are turning away business because they do not have anyone capable of making cakes. She has an order to do 200 cupcakes for their Christmas party and has asked me to help with the creative design and making them. My aunt is really unfamiliar with caking and she told me to bring a sample cake to the meeting. However, when I asked what I should bring she was just like bring a birthday cake, but just dont write happy birthday on it. So now I am at a loss. I have so many different ideas and just dont want to blow it. This could end up with me being able to sell my cakes at the market, but also receive many wedding referrals. So I dont want to mess it up. Any ideas? I dont want to be to over the top, but I want something unique and original.
Thanks for any ideas!

6 replies
katev17 Posted 27 Nov 2009 , 4:57pm
post #2 of 7

What about making a simple cake and decorating it with a gumpaste flower arrangement? I find people are most impressed with that skill! Heck, it's how I got my job.. I'm not "professionally trained", but I beat out 2 girls for the job who went to culinary school, pretty much because of my gumpaste flowers!

Good luck!! Sounds like a great opportunity! =)

sherrycanary62 Posted 27 Nov 2009 , 4:58pm
post #3 of 7

Well your aunt know her so the suggestion is probably a good one, but definately bring some other pics along especially wedding cake pics so she can see your work.

KHalstead Posted 27 Nov 2009 , 5:05pm
post #4 of 7

I think you should do something simple, yet elegant enough to be a wedding cake. Maybe do a diamond impression on the sides of the cake with some dragees at the cross sections and a couple gumpaste flowers on the center on top or something like that. THat shows you've got "skills" for a wedding cake!!

-K8memphis Posted 27 Nov 2009 , 5:09pm
post #5 of 7

I think I would make some cupcakes and decorate them each differently--or maybe make the birthday cake and then do a cupcake decorated the same or something.

Don't worry--be free and happy and excited that you have a great opportunity. A decorated cake is a decorated cake. Do some flowers, borders make it as tasty as possible. You don't have to stretch your abilitites here. Do something that you do very well. Feel confident and in control. as best you can

You'll do geat!!! Your Aunt has already been marketing you!!!

kakeladi Posted 27 Nov 2009 , 11:38pm
post #6 of 7

There are soooooooo many ways one could go w/this icon_smile.gif
What is your prettiest, most awesome b'day creation?
If you don't have any of your own ideas I can send you some pix that might help you. Can;t seem to get the to attach to this post icon_sad.gif Oh! It did post. I have a few more if you want to see them.

indydebi Posted 28 Nov 2009 , 1:29am
post #7 of 7
Originally Posted by sarag30

...... but I want something unique and original.

First impressions .... make sure it's a WOW factor cake. Things they can't get in a grocery store bakery. I'd see what your local grocery/bakeries are offering and DON'T do any of those.

If I were doing unique and original, I wouldn't do any dots, scrolls, ribbon or any of the "you see it everywhere" cakes.

What kind of business are they turning down ... wedding or birthday? I ask because your post indicates lots of wedding business but aunty asked for a birthday cake? If they are wanting to push weddings, then bring what looks like a wedding cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%