Doesn't It Defeat The Purpose Of Freezing? ...

Decorating By emiyeric Updated 27 Nov 2009 , 2:49pm by -K8memphis

emiyeric Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emiyeric Posted 26 Nov 2009 , 6:56pm
post #1 of 5

I usually only freeze cakes for carving, of which I do a lot, and in that case I fill and crumb coat, then freeze, then carve - works great. But in the case of regular layered cakes, if I freeze before filling but then have to thaw in order to fill and crumbcoat, doesn't it defeat the purpose of freezing to give the cakes a firmer "handleability", if you will? Or can I fill while the thing's still frozen, crumbcoat, and then pop back in the freezer while it's still fairly frozen? I'm on call this Friday night at the hospital, and want to have a cake done by Sunday, so will have to do some freezing ... but don't quite master it for your regular cakes yet.

4 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 26 Nov 2009 , 7:42pm
post #2 of 5

I fill frozen cakes all the time. No problem. I rarely if ever crumb coat. After filling I wrap and leave it ont he counter to finish thawing - with a ceramic tile on top to speedup the settling. I NEVER use a filling that has to be refrigerated.

emiyeric Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emiyeric Posted 26 Nov 2009 , 7:55pm
post #3 of 5

Perfect, leah_s, thanks! That's exactly what I needed to know! I'm not planning on perishable filling this time, either - straight-up buttercream with Lorann's oils, no cream cheese and such for these. Thanks so much for answering in the middle of Thanksgiving! Have a great one!

CakesByAdriana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByAdriana Posted 27 Nov 2009 , 2:35pm
post #4 of 5

I got a similar question. I have my cakes frozen. I need to still fill, stack and ice with BC and then Fondant.
Do I put in fridge after filled or back in the freezer. Do I need to thaw before I cover with fondant.
I have never done this before. I am making a topsy turve cake so I need it to be firm.
I have no idea where to start. I need to do this today.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 27 Nov 2009 , 2:49pm
post #5 of 5

I test out my fillings in advance then I freeze my filled cakes--then I remove the wrappings right away so nothing can melt and drip on my cake--then I ice & decorate them and frige them until delivery.

But Adriana--be sure you make a nice generous dam to ensure a good amount left in there after carving.

There's no for real right or wrong way--it's all a personal choice, so go with your gut or pick your favorite caker and try it their way see how it goes for you.

But most cakers would not recommend freezing after final icing or fondanting. That creates more issues. Chilling maybe, freezing no, not really.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%