John Deere Tractor Cake

Decorating By jokestersn Updated 29 Nov 2009 , 4:22am by khoudek

jokestersn Posted 26 Nov 2009 , 12:58pm
post #1 of 5

I have a groom's cake coming up in December and they want a tractor cake. I am hoping someone out there has a tutorial or can give me some instructions on how to do this cake - dimensions, et al. I am extremely new to cake decorating.

I "attempted" Thomas the Train last weekend and after that disaster I desperately need guidance rather than going at this alone.

4 replies
JanH Posted 28 Nov 2009 , 5:12am
post #2 of 5

Hi and Welcome to CC, jokestersn. icon_smile.gif

Everything you need to know to make, decorate and assemble tiered/stacked/layer cakes:

Above super thread has popular CC recipes for crusting American buttercreams, several types of fondant and doctored cake mix (WASC and other flavor variations) - and so much more!

It would be helpful if you provided number of servings required, whether you're doing a small tiered cake or layered rectangular cake, or large single layer cake.

Or do you want to try your hand at a carved cake (2 or 3D).

Also what techniques did you wish to use for decoration if not making a carved cake: gumpaste/fondants tractors, b/c transfer, chocolate transfer, edible icing image...

khoudek Posted 28 Nov 2009 , 5:47am
post #3 of 5

JanH has listed all the considerations. That said I've done 2D John Deer cakes and if you go that route I'd be happy to email you instructions. You can check my gallery photos to see if it's what you'd like to do.

jokestersn Posted 28 Nov 2009 , 2:50pm
post #4 of 5

I was thinking about doing a large rectangle cake with a tractor on top. Serving probably around 40 to 50. I would like to do a 3D tractor. Gumpaste, fondant or whatever would work best.

khoudek Posted 29 Nov 2009 , 4:22am
post #5 of 5

It might be helpful for you to do a search on the CC gallery for 3d tractors and them PM the decorator for instructions. Good luck.

Quote by @%username% on %date%