Louis Vuitton Cake

Decorating By khawthorne Updated 2 Dec 2009 , 2:41pm by sweetcakes

khawthorne Posted 26 Nov 2009 , 8:23am
post #1 of 8

Hey Everyone
ok so i have a few questions. I am going to make a LV cake not sure on what type of cake yet but, it will be a two tear cake. the base square 18X18 by3 will resemble a louis vuitton suitcase. The top is going to be a simple 14x14 by3 cake with the same pattern on it. First question, I am going to use dark chocolate fondant. How much will i need for this size cake ? Secondly, i have a airbrush, edible gold paint, and the LV monogram stencil i made with a exacto knife and a laminate sheet. Is spraying the stencil with the airbrush be a good method to make the pattern on the cake ?
thanks
-ken

7 replies
yummy Posted 26 Nov 2009 , 2:37pm
post #2 of 8

Hi Ken, welcome to cc. Happy Thanksgiving!

I've haven't been brave enough yet to try a purse cake; I'm still trying to to come up with a plan of action. Someone here on cc with LV and Coach bag experience will surely answer; but til then check out the shoes and purse gallery click on some you like and alot of the members explain under their picture how they did it. Some use stencils, some do it freehand. Hope this helps for right now until some one with more skills answers.

yummy

khawthorne Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 5:43am
post #3 of 8

awsome thanks i def look froward to making some cool cakes with the help of this sight ...but can anyone answer my question on how many lbs of fondant i will need to cover a 14x14-x3 and a 18x18-x3?

Kavrena Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 6:28am
post #4 of 8

icon_biggrin.gif Hi Ken, according to Wilton a 14x14x4 uses 96 oz., and a 16x16x4 uses 120 oz. It doesn't say how much for a 18 inch, but I assume that if you add a few ounces to the amount for a 16 inch you will have more than enough. These amounts are the closest that I have. Sorry they aren't for a 3 inch high. I use Wilton's chart whenever I cover a cake in fondant and I allways have extra. HTH

khawthorne Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 8:18am
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavrena

icon_biggrin.gif Hi Ken, according to Wilton a 14x14x4 uses 96 oz., and a 16x16x4 uses 120 oz. It doesn't say how much for a 18 inch, but I assume that if you add a few ounces to the amount for a 16 inch you will have more than enough. These amounts are the closest that I have. Sorry they aren't for a 3 inch high. I use Wilton's chart whenever I cover a cake in fondant and I allways have extra. HTH

thanks im not to bad at math so now that i have the numbers i can play around and figure it out ..thanks again

sweetcakes Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 5:55am
post #6 of 8

as for using the stencil and airbrushing - it will be very hard to avoid underspray. colour that gets under the stencil. what you could do is use the stencil, smear over that either some royal icing or even piping gel then airbrush it, the stencil will be stuck down because of the wet icing, so no underspray then remove. clean and start again. with this method you will have to wait for the royal to dry, the piping gel will be a little harder to reposition the stencil next to it. now you could also use the stencil but then hand paint the gold through it.. that is how i have done my LV logo before. a little time consuming but it will look good.

khawthorne Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 6:19am
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcakes

as for using the stencil and airbrushing - it will be very hard to avoid under spray. color that gets under the stencil. what you could do is use the stencil, smear over that either some royal icing or even piping gel then airbrush it, the stencil will be stuck down because of the wet icing, so no over spray then remove. clean and start again. with this method you will have to wait for the royal to dry, the piping gel will be a little harder to reposition the stencil next to it. now you could also use the stencil but then hand paint the gold through it.. that is how i have done my LV logo before. a little time consuming but it will look good.

i was thinking about the over spraying thing ... how about if i strategically place pins over the stencil to hold it down very flat on to the cake then spray..? should work seeing that my stencil is the exact size of my cake layers...right ?.... i just got a new spray gun and wanna play lol

sweetcakes Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 2:41pm
post #8 of 8

if your stencil is the same size as the cake surface i would, if it was me, spread a very thin layer of royal then spray. But take a scrap piece and pin the stencil down and give it a go. it may work just fine.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%