Wilton Fondant Plus Candy Clay

Decorating By dvessels Updated 27 Nov 2009 , 7:36pm by believer

dvessels Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dvessels Posted 26 Nov 2009 , 12:15am
post #1 of 5

Just thought someone might like this idea. Most people here have talked about the yukky taste of Wilton fondant. I get coupons for Michaels and Joanns continuously, so I can buy Wilton fondant at wholesale price with my 40 or 50% off coupons. So, I stumbled onto this solution. I made candy clay using the candy melts plus corn syrup recipe. I mixed some of this into the Wilton fondant. Not only did the fondant retain its elasticity and beautiful coverage, but it tasted great. The white chocolate was quite tasty and for chocolate, use the dark chocolate candy melts and brown coloring gel if needed. I can now buy my fondant at a very discounted price and yet make it taste good. The only problem to conquer now is the color. The candy clay tints the white to a slight ivory, so if I need a pure white, I'll have to buy a different brand, or find a solution. I think Wilton has some kind of whitener, but I haven't paid any attention to it or how it is used. Hope this helps someone. icon_wink.gif

4 replies
miamorsweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miamorsweets Posted 26 Nov 2009 , 12:40am
post #2 of 5

That's really an interesting idea. I've also wondered about covering cakes, especially 3-D ones completely with candy clay instead of fondant since it holds endentions and texture marks so much better. I have used the whitener and it does work but it seemed like there was some weird bitter aftertaste.

iwantcookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iwantcookies Posted 27 Nov 2009 , 2:22pm
post #3 of 5

hi!
why not try making the candy clay with Merckens super white chocolate? I have used it, and it came out perfectly white!
HTH

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 27 Nov 2009 , 2:43pm
post #4 of 5

the merkens super white chocolate is really white.. jennifer dontz talks about that in her dvd.. i have read other threads on this site where other c/cers are doing the same thing. i have tried it ..it really is good.... you can make different flowers with it also.. like roses.. orchids. small cut out flowers.. etc.. just as you can do with the candy clay only.. glad you brought this topic up again.. so new c/cers can read it..

believer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
believer Posted 27 Nov 2009 , 7:36pm
post #5 of 5

Great idea. Can you tell me how much candy clay to add to how much fondant?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%