Argh...help Me Figure Out What Kind Of Icing I'm Looking For

Baking By windycitybaker Updated 27 Nov 2009 , 4:48am by windycitybaker

windycitybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
windycitybaker Posted 26 Nov 2009 , 12:10am
post #1 of 10

I'm in the process of trying different cookie and icing recipes, based on all the wonderful guidance here on CC.

I'm having trouble with icing...I find I don't care for the taste of royal icing (maybe the meringue powder?) and I just tried Toba's Glace and it has a raw powdered sugar flavor that isn't what I'm looking for either.

Anyone use a different icing all together? I don't mind sweet, but would just like a mellow sweet. Am I looking for something that doesn't exist??!!

9 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 26 Nov 2009 , 12:24am
post #2 of 10

Many use fondant.
Or you might want to try my Buttercream for air-drying flowers. It's in the recipe section.

windycitybaker Posted 26 Nov 2009 , 12:32am
post #3 of 10

I recently had a sugar cookie from a local bakery, and the icing they used almost had a chocolate-y flavor. I've never tasted fondant...could that be what they used?

windycitybaker Posted 26 Nov 2009 , 12:57am
post #4 of 10

Anyone ever added melted white chocolate to their royal icing or TG? I just made TG and added melted unsweetened chocolate to make it brown (I'm making fall leaf cookies for Thanksgiving), and it actually tastes pretty good!

verono Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
verono Posted 26 Nov 2009 , 1:20am
post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by windycitybaker

I'm in the process of trying different cookie and icing recipes, based on all the wonderful guidance here on CC.

I'm having trouble with icing...I find I don't care for the taste of royal icing (maybe the meringue powder?) and I just tried Toba's Glace and it has a raw powdered sugar flavor that isn't what I'm looking for either.

Anyone use a different icing all together? I don't mind sweet, but would just like a mellow sweet. Am I looking for something that doesn't exist??!!

Aren't you flavoring your icing?
Here i use all-natural flavoring. A mix of clear vanilla and clear almond extracts.

Elise87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elise87 Posted 26 Nov 2009 , 2:22am
post #6 of 10

I don't mind the taste of royal icing

I live in Aus and i don't know if you would have anything like this over there but we have a prouct called 'Pavalova magic' and is used to make Pavlova's, and is like a powdered egg white and I use that instead of meringue powder but i don't reckon it has the 'taste' that ppl complain about with meringue powder.

Also maybe try adding a little lemon juice? someones i do that to

luv2bake6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bake6 Posted 26 Nov 2009 , 3:08am
post #7 of 10

You should really try adding extracts to either of the icings. They will taste very good then.

windycitybaker Posted 26 Nov 2009 , 4:42pm
post #8 of 10

Thanks for all the ideas. I've tried flavoring with (premium) vanilla and "all-natural" orange and lemon extracts. I'll keep playing around with it, because I'm hoping to find something that tastes more like granulated sugar than powdered sugar...but I have to say that I really liked the flavor when I added melted unsweetened chocolate. That's ok as long as I want all my cookies to be some shade of brown! LOL!! Happy Thanksgiving to all!

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 27 Nov 2009 , 12:07am
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by windycitybaker

Thanks for all the ideas. I've tried flavoring with (premium) vanilla and "all-natural" orange and lemon extracts. I'll keep playing around with it, because I'm hoping to find something that tastes more like granulated sugar than powdered sugar...but I have to say that I really liked the flavor when I added melted unsweetened chocolate. That's ok as long as I want all my cookies to be some shade of brown! LOL!! Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Since you liked the taste with the melted chocolate, couldn't you try using some white chocolate? Or even Wilton's CandyMelts? It might give you the mellow taste you're after.

windycitybaker Posted 27 Nov 2009 , 4:48am
post #10 of 10

Great minds think alike, Gemini! A few posts up, I asked if anyone had ever used white chocolate in their icing. I'll have to try it and see how it tastes...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%