How Do I Remove Black Dye Stains From Hands???

Decorating By Jewels117 Updated 28 Nov 2009 , 12:31am by farmersdaughter4

Jewels117 Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 11:41pm
post #1 of 18

Does anyone have any suggestions on getting the Americolor Super Black stains off of your hands? Every other color comes off after a few washes, but 2 days later I'm still finding some black stains that have turned purple-ish. I've tried different soaps, using exfoliators and I've tried using gloves, but they just stick to the fondant.

Any soap work for you? Or is there specifically a product out there that will remove stains?

Thank you!

17 replies
-K8memphis Posted 26 Nov 2009 , 12:02am
post #2 of 18

I drop a Polident tablet in water and submerge my hands in there before and during the coloring ordeal. I only get messy when I airbrush. But it really works great. Even if I forget the pre rinse--still it helps a lot. Just keep it by the sink and keep submerging your fingers/hands in there as you wash your hands.

Parable Posted 26 Nov 2009 , 12:04am
post #3 of 18

I have found that SoftScrub works even though it is a little drying of the skin. Just apply alot of lotion afterwards.

Cakepro Posted 26 Nov 2009 , 12:14am
post #4 of 18

Just go shampoo your hair. Your hair is abrasive and the shampoo is soap.

I've never had color remain on my hands after a good vigorous shampoo.

chefjess819 Posted 26 Nov 2009 , 12:24am
post #5 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by K8memphis-

I drop a Polident tablet in water and submerge my hands in there before and during the coloring ordeal. I only get messy when I airbrush. But it really works great. Even if I forget the pre rinse--still it helps a lot. Just keep it by the sink and keep submerging your fingers/hands in there as you wash your hands.

will definately remember this. even if i wear gloves, i still manage to get color all over my hands. thnks for the tip k8!

kakeladi Posted 26 Nov 2009 , 12:28am
post #6 of 18

For future knowledge:

Spray your hands w/Windexicon_smile.gif Actually i'ts the ammonia in it that does the job.
Then the 1st water that touches you should be *as hot!* as you can possibly stand.

Shampooing works for me too.

bobwonderbuns Posted 26 Nov 2009 , 12:32am
post #7 of 18

I wash my hands with a toothpaste with whitener in it. Works like a charm! icon_biggrin.gif

DianeLM Posted 26 Nov 2009 , 1:16am
post #8 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

For future knowledge:

Spray your hands w/Windexicon_smile.gif Actually i'ts the ammonia in it that does the job.
Then the 1st water that touches you should be *as hot!* as you can possibly stand.

Shampooing works for me too.

FYI, The product labeled "airbrush cleaner" is nothing more than Windex (original formula). And it works GREAT for cleaning color off skin.

DianeLM Posted 26 Nov 2009 , 1:18am
post #9 of 18

Oh yeah... one more thing. Consider wearing gloves (not latex) when kneading in colors. Not only will your hands stay clean, but you'll need less sugar/cornstarch because the fondant doesn't stick to the gloves as readily as warm hands.

galliesway Posted 26 Nov 2009 , 1:24am
post #10 of 18

Lava soap! Fantastic for all stains!!!

PatricesPieces Posted 26 Nov 2009 , 2:02am
post #11 of 18

Bleach is great...just pour some in some water and soak you hands. Then I wash them really well with soap and water. Just lotion really well after.

diane706 Posted 26 Nov 2009 , 2:55am
post #12 of 18

Clorox Clean-Up...my cleaner of choice for everything from the bathrooms in my house to my color stained hands at the shop... (but that also explains my dry, old lady hands!! icon_lol.gif I use LOTS of lotion after work! thumbs_up.gif

cabecakes Posted 26 Nov 2009 , 3:08am
post #13 of 18

I haven't had a chance to try it yet, but a friend of mine told me to try white vinegar. She said it should take it right off. I haven't used black since she told me that, but I plan to.

Jewels117 Posted 26 Nov 2009 , 5:36am
post #14 of 18

Thanks everyone! I definitely have several different methods to try icon_smile.gif

miny Posted 26 Nov 2009 , 6:12am
post #15 of 18

Wow, so many great tips, thank you!

muddpuppy Posted 26 Nov 2009 , 12:48pm
post #16 of 18

I vote for bleach!! I use it to take the stains out of my counters at home and my hands at the shop!

Beckalita Posted 27 Nov 2009 , 7:06pm
post #17 of 18

I second the Clorox Clean-up....works great for me!!!!

farmersdaughter4 Posted 28 Nov 2009 , 12:31am
post #18 of 18

I've always had great success using MINERAL OIL. You can buy a small bottle in the drug department at Walmart, drugstores, etc. Just massage the oil into the stain and then rub off using a paper towel, etc.

This is not cake related, but this same method works wonders when I spray paint an object using oil based spray paint - in addition to removing stains and paint, this method lubricates your skin - not irritating at all. For stains around the fingernails, I use a soft brush and mineral oil.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%