Oh No! I Have To Do A Cake I Don't Like!

Decorating By Kerry_Kake Updated 26 Nov 2009 , 1:22pm by Kerry_Kake

Kerry_Kake Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 11:04pm
post #1 of 7

It's, I think supposed to be a cherry blossom cake. She sent me a picture of the cake she wanted and I really don't like it icon_cry.gif I love the cherry blossom cakes that I've seen on here but this one well....
So she told me it's for a sweet 16 and her dress is red with black and white accents. The cake picture she sent me is pink marble fondant 2 1/2 tiers. Are you wondering about the 1/2 tier. Well the first two tiers are 4-5 inches high but the top is very small, half the height of the first two. I think it looks odd. But anyway that part doesn't matter because we agreed on a two tier cake. She then tells me if I can make the fans on the cake to look more real that would be great. Oh and another thing she said she likes the look of the chubbiness of the cake. Oh no, how do I do that? It just looks like the fondant was laid on really thick and it weighed the corners down, but I don't put my fondant on thick. I think they will think it's too much frosting if I do that. I would put the photo on but what if it's a cake that someone did on here icon_redface.gif I don't want to offend anyone.
Has anyone been in this position before? Sorry that was so long!

6 replies
Texas_Rose Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 11:11pm
post #2 of 7

I think I know which one you meant...I have admired the fans on it because my daughter loves Asian things. It has a red ribbon border, right?

Anyhow, the chubbiness is mostly the look of only having a 2" size difference between tiers, I think.

JCE62108 Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 11:18pm
post #3 of 7

Ive had to do cakes I dont like. Sometimes I cringe at some of the stuff people come up with, but I dont care about making it. Its not me that has to like it. Its their cake, they're paying for it. I get the money, they can have their crazy looking cake and everyone is happy. lol. I would just try to make it as close to what she wants as possible. The cake may have been done by a hobbiest or a beginner if it looks a little off. But everyone has to start somewhere. Ive made some ugly cakes in my day. hehe

tracycakes Posted 26 Nov 2009 , 3:38am
post #4 of 7

I've made some that definitely weren't my taste or choice but if that is what they want, I do it and just try to do the best job I can.

pearlydi Posted 26 Nov 2009 , 4:03am
post #5 of 7

When I see a cake I don't like, I tell the people I will email some of other cake pictures so they can take a look at it. It works, they always choose another cake.

CakeMommyTX Posted 26 Nov 2009 , 4:21am
post #6 of 7

Why don't you try to incorporate the design elements she does like into to a cake design that you like?
That's what I do if it's a cake I don't care for.
I tell the customer I don't copy cakes exactly and if they tell me what they like the most about it I can design a one of a kind cake just for them.
They usaully come back saying they that liked it because of the colors or that it's 2 tiers or it has stripes and they would love a custom designed cake.
People are so used to pick and choose cakes from super markets that they really don't know what to do when given the oppurunity to have a custom cake.
It's very hard to break those old habits of "oh I like that one, can you put my name on it" and that's it.
So you have to guide your customers and let them know that they can have any cake they want, well any cake that is within your ability.

Kerry_Kake Posted 26 Nov 2009 , 1:22pm
post #7 of 7
Originally Posted by pearlydi

When I see a cake I don't like, I tell the people I will email some of other cake pictures so they can take a look at it. It works, they always choose another cake.

And that's exactly what I did and she emails me back saying she liked the cakes I sent her but she is still sticking to the one she emailed me. She said she really likes the chubbiness. As in it's fun looking. icon_confused.gif I'm thinking it's more novice looking, yup! I have to make really rounded corners, so now I think I need to carve my cake to look like that icon_mad.gif The fan on it is just a triangle piece of gumpaste painted silver with smears of color on it. Now she wants paper fans icon_cry.gif Isn't that going to look really cheesy??? Oh lord, please help me icon_cry.gif Thanks for listening, this really sucks, lol!

Quote by @%username% on %date%