My Dh Was Only Kidding!

Decorating By Kellbella Updated 26 Nov 2009 , 11:53pm by Cathy26

Kellbella Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 10:34pm
post #1 of 15

I made a B-day cake for the daughter of one of the cardiologists that my husband works for. (It's the polka dot and striped 2 tier in my pics). Well, a week or two had passed and I still had not gotten paid for it. I was only going to charge $30 for it. Well, DH ran into the Dr and jokingly said.."when are you going to bring a check in for $150.oo for that cake!" The dr joked back " I thought it was $225.00" Well, I came into work today and got a thank-you card written by the birthday girl and inside was a check for $100.00. I was blown away! I feel like I should give some of it back! I don't think it was a $100 cake! icon_redface.gif On one hand I feel I should give some back and say thanks but that was too generous and on the other hand I wanna say Merry Christmas to me...I'm buying more cake stuff! What would you all do?

14 replies
Texas_Rose Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 10:42pm
post #2 of 15

I didn't see the one you were describing in your pictures, but your cakes are lovely and I'm sure it was worth $100.

MrsNancyB1 Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 10:43pm
post #3 of 15

Wow, that is very generous.

I would keep it. If you are confident that there was no misunderstanding with the cost of the cake, then take it as a very nice gesture from the Dr.

If you want, you can send your husband with some cupcakes or other goodies for the Dr in the spirit of the holidays, just to show your appreciation. icon_smile.gif

adven68 Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 11:39pm
post #4 of 15

If he took you seriously, he would have made the check out for $150, like you joked about.
He obviously thinks highly of your cake and your husband, so send him a thank you note for his generosity after you deposit it in the bank!
icon_biggrin.gif

Kellbella Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 11:40pm
post #5 of 15

Oops...here's the pic...I thought it was in my galleries. Thanks for the advice and the compliment Texas!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kellythecakegirl/4104960398/

Kellbella Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 11:45pm
post #6 of 15

Dang it! I'm an idiot when it comes to computers icon_cry.gif ..can't figure out how to add my pic...sorry..it's on flickr though.

Thanks again for the advice! : icon_biggrin.gif

dl5crew Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 11:51pm
post #7 of 15

I think it is worth $100.00

LaBellaFlor Posted 26 Nov 2009 , 12:02am
post #8 of 15

Girl you better be happy and keep that money! thumbs_up.gif

Cakepro Posted 26 Nov 2009 , 12:20am
post #9 of 15

You were going to charge 30 dollars for that cake??

Seriously - the doctor knows the going rate for cakes better than you do. Send him a thank you note and then start charging appropriately!

Also, never stick bare wire directly into cake. More info here: http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-632290-wire.html

Cute cake!

Kellbella Posted 26 Nov 2009 , 1:22am
post #10 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakepro

You were going to charge 30 dollars for that cake??

Seriously - the doctor knows the going rate for cakes better than you do. Send him a thank you note and then start charging appropriately!

Also, never stick bare wire directly into cake. More info here: http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-632290-wire.html

Cute cake!

The wires are inside straws just to be safe...I've read that thread before icon_wink.gif I know I do need to charge more for my cakes...I'm probably breaking even (barely) icon_cry.gif

JanH Posted 26 Nov 2009 , 4:06am
post #11 of 15

Oh heck yeah, that's certainly a $100.00 cake!

Enjoy your success. icon_biggrin.gif

Ruth0209 Posted 26 Nov 2009 , 4:18am
post #12 of 15

I would have charged $125 for that cake. I'm sure the doctor fully intended to give you that much because he realizes you did not ask enough.

I have a very good client who gave me a $100 tip for a cake I made for her. When I thanked her for being so generous, she said, "Please. You have GOT to start charging what your cakes are worth. Seriously." That was about the nicest and most encouraging thing anyone's ever said to me. I took her advice, charge much more now and she still tipped me $50 for the last cake I made for her. She's my favorite... : )

Don't even think about trying to give that money back. You'll just create an awkward moment for the doctor. Be proud, keep the money, and as my friend told me, "Please. You have GOT to start charging what your cakes are worth. Seriously."

DetailsByDawn Posted 26 Nov 2009 , 6:46am
post #13 of 15

Great job! Def. a $100 cake!!! I recently got paid double for a cake I made and I told her "this is a recession, you're not supposed to pay double for things!" She just replied "That cake was worth 5 times what you charged me, so I'm still getting a great deal - next time make sure you charge me what your cakes are worth". I offer that advice to you now too! Be proud and buy yourself a new cake gadget for the holidays!! Congrats!

Kellbella Posted 26 Nov 2009 , 5:45pm
post #14 of 15

Thank you all for the advice, compliments and encouragement!

Happy Thanksgiving to all the cakers!! icon_biggrin.gif

Cathy26 Posted 26 Nov 2009 , 11:53pm
post #15 of 15

that cake is FAB!!!love it

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%