Modeling Paste Vs Pastillage

Decorating By uberathlete Updated 25 Nov 2009 , 10:12pm by kakeladi

uberathlete Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 9:28pm
post #1 of 3

Hi folks. I am thinking of making a half cage (think of a cage with a dome-ish shape) where a cake topper stand under. But I'm not sure what I should use. Should I use gum paste, modeling paste, or pastillage. Actually I don't even know the difference between modeling paste and pastillage. What are they? I worked with gum paste before so know what it is, but modeling paste and pastillage not really, but I've got a feeling that those two work better for a cage-like structure. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

2 replies
bashini Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 10:02pm
post #2 of 3

Hi there, I use modeling paste to make people, animals and other little ones. It doesn't dry too hard. But pastillage dries really hard. I think I would use pastillage to make a cage. Once I used it to make a turrets of a castle. You can buy powder form of pastillage. You need to add water to make the paste. Or you make it your self. icon_smile.gif

kakeladi Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 10:12pm
post #3 of 3

Yes, pastillage does dry much harder than either of the other two mediums. But it also dries out much quicker so you have to work *FAST!* icon_sad.gif
Maybe a combination of pastillage & gp would work. Again, it will dry out fast but I think the gp will slow down the pastillage and it will also make it just a tad less strong.

If I'm not mistaken modeling past is much closer, if not the same, as fondant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%